Hollywood’s New ‘It’ Boy: Joe Keery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

Meet Joe Keery, the actor who plays heartthrob Steve Harrington on Netflix’s Stranger Things. In the past year, Keery has been breaking hearts around the globe. After his character on Stranger Things went from bad boy to ‘dad Steve” overnight, heads have been turning and fans have been wondering, “who is Joe Keery?” Well, Keery is a 25-year old New England boy-next-door. After graduating from DePaul University in 2014, Keery dove straight into his acting career. He is best known for his role as Steve Harrington on Stranger Things. He has also starred in Empire and a couple episodes of Chicago Fire. Outside of acting, Keery also plays guitar and sings in his college band (I know – could he be any cuter?!). 

One characteristic fans seem to be swooning over are those gorgeous locks on his head. In season two of Stranger Things, Keery’s character is known for his hair and his hair product. Did you know in real life, Joe Keery cares just as much about his hair product as his character does? He was born to play this role! So how does Keery get his handsome mane? Not shampooing everyday and allowing his hair to naturally ‘poof!’  Oddly strange, but hey, at least he’s honest about his hair hygiene. As PopSugar stated, he also uses moose and hairspray to keep those perfect locks in place. It’s no Farrah Faucet product, like the product his character Steve uses, but it’s something that sets him apart from the rest of Hollywood’s famous faces.

As much as we love crushing on Joe Keery, it’s unfortunate to announce that the man of the hour is taken *sighs.* According to Bustle, Keery is currently dating Maika Monroe, a young Hollywood actress. Monroe has been featured in a handful of tv shows and movies, but like Keery, is making her way to fame. Will Joe Keery and his girlfriend be the next Brad and Angelina?! Who knows, but you heard it here first! In Hollywood, anything is possible. However, we hope to see much more of Joe Keery because he is a handsome young man Hollywood was lucky to find. 

Just a 22-year-old Wisconsin college student with a whole lot of Minnesota pride. You can catch me serving coffee, watching netflix and exploring as many new places as I can.