Confessions of a College Bride

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

Being engaged is a stage of life that I’ve been looking forward to my entire life. And let me tell you: it IS all it’s made out to be! However I never imagined that it would be my reality whilst still enrolled in college. Granted I am graduating in less than two months, but that is an eternity away.

College, plus wedding planning, plus internship, plus HC, plus job-hunting equals STRESS. That equation is legit.

I would say that I spend at least an hour each day planning some aspect of the wedding. Yet, that is sometimes unwise when I have more pressing homework assignments to focus on. But come on. Researching the benefits of a closed toed Mary Jane on your wedding day compared to the statement of an open toed shoe is far more interesting than reading the technical handbook to Adobe InDesign for class. 

The struggle to remain focused on my last days as a student when my big day is so near is like forcing myself to eat celery sticks when I know there is a tub of Ben & Jerry’s in the freezer. 

I know that I’m in a unique position. I know that the people around me think I live in a dream world. False, folks. I am intensely happy, that is true. But this is probably the most stressful stage of life that I have ever experienced. There is an overwhelming obligation to make sure every friend and family member feels included and satisfied with the huge decisions I am making. Does that sound dreamy and magical? Not so much.

I am blessed with the most supportive fiancé anyone could have, which makes things easier and simpler. To be honest, the only thing getting me through this complicated time is the fact that there is an end date to this madness and my prize is the handsome devil I will call my husband.

Don’t assume for one second that I am taking my engagement for granted or that I am wishing the days away. Uh huh honey. In fact, I’m soaking it in as much as possible. Frazzled? Yes. Frantic? Of course. Stupidly happy? 100%.

Rachel Pagel is a UW-Milwaukee senior in the Journalism College. She is majoring in Media Studies and is also currently the Digital Media Intern at Lessiter Media. Rachel is one of the two founding Campus Correspondents at UWM! She is getting married in the fall and loves to write about the hectic nature of planning a wedding while still in college. Rachel's other interests include watching Downton Abbey, drinking wine, and playing the piano.