Everyone knows GPA’s are very important especially when it comes to applying for study abroad programs and certain internships, but it’s not the end of the world. Now, science, math and health majors may not necessarily have this luxury, but business and journalism students have extra options to appear more well rounded to employers.
- Working throughout college: Even if you have the means to not have to work throughout school, a lot of employers find it impressive if you do. By showing that you can balance jobs, internships and other course loads all at once, proves that you’re ready for “the real world.”
- Holding a leadership position in an org: By holding a leadership position in an organization it shows that you are a leader, you take initiative and you are self-motivated. You don’t have to become a student org leader and put in all of those unpaid hours, but it shows that you are passionate about something and have drive.
- Philanthropic work: Find a cause that you’re passionate about and volunteer for it. It shows employers that you care in other things other than yourself.
- Study abroad: If you have the means to study abroad, definitely go for it. This shows that you have a sense of adventure, you are exposed to the outside world and you’re more likely to take risks and show empathy.
- Great memories: Nothing beats coming out of college with some memories of a lifetime. If you need to take a night to just hangout with your friends over studying a little extra for that exam, do what you think is best for your overall mental health and the amazing relationships you’ve built in school.