15 Drinks to Spook Up Your Halloween Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

If you are throwing a Halloween party or just looking to make some themed cocktails, here is a list of 15 spooky Halloween themed drinks that will spice up your Halloween. From Jell-O shots to Margaritas, get to the grocery store and give these drinks a try! 

SMOKIN SKULL SHOTS

Ingredients:

• 1 ounce bourbon
  • 1/2 ounce lime juice
  • 1/4 ounce grenadine
  • Splash of Mountain Dew
  • Dry ice chips, for presentation (optional) 
    • Note: Always observe dry ice safety measures: Never touch dry ice with bare skin and do not swallow.

Directions:

1. Pour bourbon, lime juice and grenadine into a shaker over ice. 
  2. Shake well and strain into shot glass.
  3. Drop dry ice chips into shot glass and top with Mountain Dew.

BLACK WIDOW SHOT

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 ounces black vodka, chilled 
  • 1/2 ounces cranberry juice, chilled
  • 1 cherry, for garnish
  • Red sugar crystals, for rim

Directions:

1. Fill a small cocktail glass with ice.
  2. Rim glass with red sugar crystals.
  3. Pour cranberry juice over ice, and gently layer black vodka over juice.
  4. Garnish with a cherry.

EMBALMING FLUID

Ingredients:

• 1½ oz. mandarin vodka
  • ½ oz. sour apple mix
  • ½ oz. lime juice
  • 4 oz. gingerale
  • 2 drops green food coloring, optional

Directions:

1. Mix all ingredients in a shaker over ice. Shake twice and serve in your most ghoulish of glasses.

ZOMBIE COCKTAIL

Ingredients:

• 1 oz. light rum
  • 1 oz. dark rum
  • 1 oz. apricot liquor
  • 2 oz. orange juice
  • 1 dash lime Bitters
  • 1 handful ice
  • 1 oz. Bacardi 151 Rum
  • Orange slice and cherry for garnish

Directions:

1. Combine light rum, dark rum, apricot liquor, orange juice, and bitters using a cocktail shaker.
  2. Pour into a large glass filled with ice. Top with the shot of Bacardi 151, then garnish with the orange slice and cherry.

GLOWING JELL-O SHOTS

Ingredients:

• 2 c. tonic water, divided
  • 2 packages Jell-O (two flavors; we used pineapple and orange)
  • 1 c. water
  • 1 c. vodka

Directions:

1. Make the first layer: Pour one cup tonic water into a pot over high heat. Once it comes to a boil, add the pineapple Jell-o mix. Whisk until the mix has dissolved, then pour in half a cup of water and half a cup of vodka. Stir to combine.
  2. Pour the Jell-o into shot glasses, filling them about two-thirds of the way up. Place in the refrigerator to chill, 30 to 35 minutes.
  3. Make the second layer: As they set, start making the orange Jell-o, following the same process used for the pineapple Jell-o.
  4. Top each of the pineapple Jell-o shot glasses with the orange Jell-o mixture. Return the shots to the fridge to set, 2 to 3 hours.

THE BONEYARD

Ingredients:

• 1 ounce Gin
  • 1 ounce Light Rum
  • 1 ounce Silver Tequila
  • 1 ounce Vodka
  • 1 ½ ounces of blue Curacao
  • 2 ounces sour mux
  • La Croix sparkling Water

Directions:

1. In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine 1 ounce gin, 1 ounce light run, 1 ounce silver tequila, 1 ounce vodka, 1½ ounces blue Curaçao, and 2 ounces sour mix. Shake and strain into a glass filled with ice. Top with La Croix sparkling water.

THE GRAVEDIGGER

Ingredients:

• 1 ½ Cruz Reposado Tequila
  • ½ Mezcal
  • ¾ part Fino Sherry
  • ½ part pear liqueur

Directions:

1. Stir 1½ parts CRUZ Reposado Tequila, ½ part mezcal, ¾ part fino sherry, ½ part pear liqueur. Strain over a large ice cube (preferably in the shape of a skull, muahaha) in a glass. Garnish with an edible flower or a lemon twist.

THE SPOOKY SUNRISE

Ingredients:

• Black Sugar
  • 1 ½ ounces Tequila
  • 3 ounces Tropicana Tangerine Lemonade
  • 1 ounce grenadine
  • 1 orange

Directions:

1. Rim a chilled Collins glass with black sugar. Add 1½ oz. tequila and 3 oz. Tropicana Tangerine Lemonade. Float 1 oz. grenadine on top and garnish with an orange slice.

THE GREEN DEMON

Ingredients:

• 1 ounce Midori
  • 1 ounce vodka
  • 1 ounce white rum
  • Lemonade (to taste)

Directions:

1. Build the liquors into a large goblet and top with lemonade. Stir and serve with a lime wheel garnish.

THE DEVIL’S MARGARITA

Ingredients:

• 1 ½ ounce tequila blanco
  • ¾ ounce lime juice
  • ¾ ounce simple syrup
  • Red Wine

Directions:

1. In a shaker filled with ice, pour in tequila, lime juice, and simple syrup.
  2. Shake until chilled and pour into glass of choice.
  3. Set a spoon at a 45 degree angle barely placed inside of the margarita. The back of the spoon should be facing the ceiling.
  4. Pinch the top of the wine bottle with your finger and slowly pour red wine onto the back of the spoon and let it drizzle on the surface of the margarita.
  5. Pour until you have about 1/4 inch of red wine in the glass.
  6. Congratulations! You’ve made a really cool looking layered drink!

BEETLE JUICE COCKTAIL

Ingredients:

• 1 ounce vodka
  • 1/2 ounce melon liqueur (Midori)
  • 1/2 ounce raspberry liqueur (Chambord)
  • 1/2 ounce blue curaçao
  • 2 ounces sweet & sour
  • 1 1/2 ounces cranberry juice
  • Ice

Directions:

1. Fill a double old-fashioned glass with ice. 
  2. To the glass add the vodka, melon liqueur, raspberry liqueur, blue curaçao, and sweet & sour. The drink should be a really pretty green color. 
  3. Pour the cranberry juice on top of the drink. You can let the juice float or stir it in for a creepy color change.
  4. Serve with black & white striped straws and say Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

POISON APPLE COCKTAIL

Ingredients:

• 1 ounce vanilla vodka
  • 1/2 ounce orange liqueur
  • 1 ounce sour apple liqueur or schnapps
  • 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
  • 1-2 ounces champagne
  • ice
  • green sugar for rim
  • light corn syrup (optional)

Directions:

1. Lightly dampen the rim of a cocktail glass and dip in green sugar. Set aside. Tip: For better adhesion, dilute two tablespoons of light corn syrup with a few drops of water. Use your fingertips to apply the syrup to the rim of the glass
  2. Place vanilla vodka, orange liqueur, sour apple liqueur and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker filled 2/3 with ice. Shake until jet cold (about 20 seconds). Strain the drink into the cocktail glass and top with chilled champagne. 

VAMPIRE KISS MARTINI

Ingredients:

• 3 oz. Chilled Pinnacle “Whipped” Vodka or Vanilla Vodka
  • Strawberry Sundae Syrup
  • Plastic vampire teeth for garnish

Directions:

1. Rim a martini glass with strawberry syrup. Drizzle some on the inside of the glass so it drips. Pour vodka into a shaker with ice and shake well. Strain into prepared martini glass. Add teeth on the side of the glass as garnish.

SINISTER CIDER COCKTAIL

Ingredients:

• Fine black sanding sugar
  • 1 lady apple, chopped
  • 1/2 lime, cut into wedges
  • 1 ounce maple syrup
  • 1 ounce apple cider
  • 2 ounces vodka
  • Ice
  • Club soda
  • 1 thin crosswise slice lady apple, for garnish

Directions:

1. Moisten the rim of a martini glass with water. Place sanding sugar in a saucer and dip rim of glass in sanding sugar to coat; set aside.
  2. In a cocktail shaker, muddle together apple cubes and lime wedges. Add syrup, cider, and vodka; fill with ice. Cover and shake until well combined. Strain into prepared martini glass; top with club soda. Garnish with apple slice and serve.

SWAMP SANGRIA

Ingredients:

• 5 lady apples
  • 1 bunch (about 8 ounces) green seedless grapes
  • 1 bunch (about 8 ounces) red seedless grapes
  • 2 bottles dry white wine, chilled
  • 2 cups sparkling apple cider, chilled
  • 6 tablespoons poire William (pear-flavored eau-de-vie)

Directions:

1. Put apples and grapes into an ice-filled punch bowl. Pour in wine, cider, and poire William. Gently stir.

Thanks to Cosmopolitan, Martha Stewart, HGTV, Delish, Country Living, and Huffington Post for all the great ideas! Hope you enjoy all these delicious drinks and have a spooky Halloween. 

Just a small town girl from Illinois eager to jump into a big world. A UWM student studying Communication with a minor in Journalism and Media Studies. Once I see what I want, I will not stop until I get it. I love everything from being outside in the middle of nowhere to being smack dab in the center of a big city. I am very passionate, hard working, talkative, and thoughtful. I am always down for great adventures and I am excited to see where living in Milwaukee takes me!