You Have Got to Listen to These Canadian Artists!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

There are two things about me that I am so proud of: my music taste and being a Canadian. I don’t know why I do, but I always have the inkling to tell people when any actor or artist we see is a Canadian. Growing up in Canada, I always had the radio on, which has a 40% Canadian content quota. I will say that quota worked because most artists I listen to are Canadian, and I just love to tell others about them. So, without further ado here are some of my favourite Canadian artists that you should also listen to.

1. TALK

Favourite song: “Run Away to Mars”

TALK is one of the newer artists on this list. He teased his first song online in 2021 and then released it later that same year. Since then, he has been releasing bop after bop, and I am so here for it! He has such an incredibly strong voice; anytime he holds a note, I can’t help but get goosebumps. I totally recommend checking out his songs and just listening to the passion in his voice.

1. Isaac Hunter Page

Favourite song: “It All Comes Back To You”

It’s hard to explain it, but I think my brain chemistry changed when I heard Isaac Hunter for the first time. I started watching his content on TikTok and before I knew it, he had become one of my most-listened-to artists on Spotify. Isaac is trained as a conductor and a composer, not to mention that his father Steven Page is also an awesome musical artist, so it’s safe to say he truly has a heart and an ear for music.

1. Avril Lavigne

Favourite song: “Why”

The Canadian pop-punk princess has been given that name for a very good reason. Her songs flooded the radio growing up, as they should have! Avril is a strong songwriter and an even stronger singer. Let’s be honest, we all loved dancing to “Girlfriend” on Just Dance because it is a certified bop.

1. Great Big Sea

Favourite song: “Boston to St. John’s”

When I was growing up, I used to always hear Great Big Sea’s music on the radio. Now that I listen to music on my phone, I still always love to listen to Great Big Sea. My sea-shanty-loving heart is always so happy to listen to the Newfoundland band. Although the band has officially retired after a successful career, I hope I can see Alan Doyle, the lead singer, live one day. If you are interested in rock or folk music, definitely give them a listen.

1. Anne Murray

Favourite song: “Snowbird”

I don’t think I could ever fully explain just how much I love Anne Murray. She was the very first solo Canadian female singer to ever top the U.S. charts, and that’s just the start! Murray is very decorated from her music, including being in four Halls of Fame and on two Walks of Fame. Her voice is hauntingly beautiful; she is just someone I could listen to all day.

1. Shania Twain

Favourite song: “Any Man Of Mine”

Let’s go girls! Of course I had to put the Queen of Country on this list. Her career is just so expansive and iconic. Regardless of whether you’re a country fan or not, I just know you’ll enjoy her work. With songs like “That Don’t Impress Me Much”, “Man! I Feel Like A Woman”, and “She’s Not Just A Pretty Face”, it’s clear that Shania Twain is the inspiring country mother we all need in our lives. Not to mention, she was born in Windsor!

1. Gordon Lightfoot

Favourite song: “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”

In my eyes, Gordon Lightfoot will forever be the folk artist of the millennium. His songs were about beautiful and simple things such as mountains, highways, ships, and love. His captivating words paired with his rich voice and twangy guitar strumming really feel like the perfect present tied up in string. After his unfortunate passing earlier this year, I like to think that the music world paused a moment just for him. Gordon Lightfoot will be missed but never forgotten.

1. Marianas Trench

Favourite song: “Porcelain”

There is no way I could have created this list without including Marianas Trench. This B.C. group has encapsulated half of my life. With each album its band members create, they just top the charts with their catchy pop-rock songs. If you weren’t dancing your heart out to “Stutter”, “Fallout”, “All To Myself”, and “Desperate Measures” in elementary school, then I don’t believe you! I have gotten the opportunity to see them in concert four separate times, and each time is just as exciting as the last. If there is only one artist you listen to from this list, this is the artist you need to pick.

Liv Brannagan

UWindsor '24

Hi I'm Liv! I am currently studying Forensic Science at the University of Windsor. I love being outside, going on hikes, kayaking, rowing, and goodness I could just go on and on. I am often listening to music, listening to a good podcast, watching a film, or talking (arguing) about any one of those!