This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Since my first year as an undergrad, I had been thinking of joining Her Campus because I was interested in writing articles, but I never really got around to it. Either I was too busy, or I felt like I wasn’t skilled enough to join, or I was nervous about the seemingly strict nature of an official club—there was always an excuse I could use to not join. In third year, I finally took a chance and became a part of Her Campus, and it’s one of the best decisions I’ve made in my undergrad. Maybe you’re like me. Maybe you’re also interested in writing, but you’re having similar doubts and worries. Well, good news! I’m here to give you a bit more information about the benefits of Her Campus! 

1. You Can Write Whatever You Want!

While we do occasionally have themed weeks where we are given a particular genre/topic to focus on, for the most part all writers have the freedom to choose their own focus. If you’re feeling really passionate about the environment, definitely share your passion in an article. If you’ve discovered something new and interesting about interpretive dance, share that too! The style of your writing doesn’t have to be restricted to a certain format either. You can create lists, write analytical articles, or share your creative writing and poetry. 

2. Her Campus is Open to Everyone

Her Campus is a safe and supportive place that will accept you regardless of who you are and how you identify. I know that when I first joined, I was under the impression that it may be a club restricted to people who identify with the personal pronoun “her” (due to the club’s name), but I’m happy to report that this isn’t the case! She, he, them—however you identify, you’re always welcome to the club!

3. You’re Joining a Community and Making Good Friends

Tying into the previous point, Her Campus is a community of people whose relationships go beyond business and formality. If you’ve got some good news to report, hop into the group chat and let us know! Likewise, if you’re facing some issues and are looking for a bit of support, don’t hesitate to type. Especially when it comes to issues pertaining to university life and academics, it helps to have a community of students who can give some advice. With our team-bonding events and meetings, it’s easy to also get to know everyone on a personal level and make long-lasting friends!

4. The Schedules are Flexible

While it’s definitely important to attend team meetings (so long as they don’t interfere with your schedule) and make sure you’re doing your work, you don’t have to be ripping your hair out trying to balance school, work, and a weekly posting schedule on top of everything. Firstly, you can choose to post weekly or biweekly, depending on your preference and schedule. Secondly, if you feel overwhelmed, you’re absolutely welcome to take mental health and study days. Her Campus is understanding and supportive, and you don’t have to feel like you’re stuffed into a rigorous box. Just be sure to let people know of your break in advance! 

5. You Can Put Her Campus On Your Co-Curricular Record

The Co-Curricular Record (CCR) is a place where you can record your experiences and share them with future employers and well as graduate schools. Now more than ever employers are keen on getting students who have extracurricular experience as well as education, and taking part in Her Campus allows you to build those desirable and necessary soft skills. There’s nothing to lose! 

6. Everyone Is Open to Teach and Learn

One of the biggest things that intimidated me when I was interested in joining Her Campus was the application process. Sounds scary, right? I thought so too, until I applied! After contacting Her Campus via email, we send you an application form to fill out with a sample paper to edit, a sample article to write, and a sample social media post to create (depending on what position you’re interested in). It sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t! I made the mistake of thinking I wasn’t good enough to join for two years, so I never even bothered with the application, but take it from me—it’s worth it, and you’re more than likely not giving yourself enough credit. Besides, everyone at Her Campus exceeds at different things, and everyone is open to giving and receiving constructive criticism! 

7. You Don’t Have to Write! 

You might be wondering, “What if I’m not interested in writing?” Not to worry! One thing some people may not be aware of is that there are more than just writing positions available. If you aren’t interested in writing, you can choose to be an editor, or work for social media, or take part in administrative business.  There’s always something to do for everyone!

All in all, Her Campus is a really worthwhile experience. Personally, I’ve had a lot of fun meeting and getting to know all of the wonderful members. From team bonding events, to meetings, to Secret Santas, I’ve made a lot of memories I’ll never forget. I’m grateful that I can be in such a kind and open club, and have my participation recognized officially on the CCR. Her Campus has also given me the opportunity to write outside of school (something I’ve always loved to do but put on the back burner because of essays and assignments). So, take a chance and shoot us an email at hc.uwindsor@hercampus.com. You’ve got nothing to lose, and everything to gain. 

If you are a University of Windsor student and you are interested in learning more about our club or becoming a member, please reach out to us via email at hc.uwindsor@hercampus.com! We would be happy to send you more information.

Anna Karch

UWindsor '20

Anna Karch studies English, French, and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor. In her spare time, Anna enjoys playing piano, journaling, and spending time with friends. As an avid reader and writer, she hopes to continue writing in the future.