Why You Should Definitely Learn ASL Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

ASL, short for American Sign Language, should be the next language you add to your 2017 bucket-list and I’ll tell you why.

There are already many individuals fluent in ASL

American Sign Language is the sixth most common language in the United States according to the Gallaudet University Library. There are anywhere between 500,000 and two million ASL speakers in the U.S alone, not to mention many speakers in Canada as well.

Hearing Loss is more common than you think

Learning ASL is a way to show support for accessibility, inclusivity, and the Deaf community

Not everyone is able to hear and ASL provides those in the Deaf community with a way to communicate with others. Even if you’re not hearing impaired, learning ASL will provide you with the opportunity to directly communicate with those in the Deaf community. So if you ever meet someone who uses ASL, you will have the chance to show them your support in a more comfortable setting.

Being fluent in ASL will boost your resume

Even if you don’t know anyone who is hearing impaired, that shouldn’t stop you from learning. There are plenty of benefits that come from picking up ASL. Many employers are looking to make their establishments more inclusive. Many employers look for self taught, self motivated individuals and learning a second language shows you have those qualities – learning another language in general makes you a more dynamic applicant. Having ASL knowledge specifically adds to your customer service abilities because you are able to better help those who are hearing-impaired. 

Looking to take an ASL starter class? The Delta Zeta sorority at the University of Windsor will be hosting an ASL class on February 11th at 1pm. Registration is $15 with all proceeds benefitting the Starkey Hearing Foundation. Snacks and beverages are provided as well! Tickets for this event are available in the CAW Student Centre on February 3rd from 10am-4pm for $15 or online through EventBrite: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/asl-class-tickets-31452190348

So don’t forget to mark your calendars for this awesome opportunity and learn a new language in the process!

Melanie Renaud is a second year Digital Journalism and Communications, Media & Film double major student at the University of Windsor. 
Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.