Why We Should Say Goodbye More Often

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Goodbyes can be easy, hard, long, short, and sometimes emotional. We say goodbyes every day, whether we like it or not. I’d like to discuss why we should say goodbye more often and embrace the fact that we simply have to do it.

To begin, it’s nice to have closure to conversations. It’s best for both people to know that you both have to continue on with your day, and let’s be honest, it’s nice to not be left with the awkward “is it over yet?” Also, it feels nice to hear the occasional “have a good day!” or “it was nice seeing you!”

Further, you never know when that goodbye will be your last. As sad as it is to say, you just can’t predict the future. You always want to leave people knowing how you feel or knowing that you cared; take the time to say goodbye and tell them you love them. It doesn’t have to be long and emotional, but if anything were to happen, you would feel a lot more closure from the situation and how you left your impression on them. This doesn’t just refer to death but it refers to losing people due to negative relationships as well.

Finally, it’s respectful to do so. People genuinely appreciate a real goodbye. Over text, on the phone, or in person, it’s a nice touch to finalize the conversation and leave people with a good impression.

Remember to say goodbye with a lasting impression. Something so simple can have a great effect.

Amy N

UWindsor '21

Amy is a University of Windsor alumni. She loves to read, write, dance, eat chocolate, and organize anything she can get her hands on. Being bilingual, she developed a love for languages at a very young age.