Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

Why Rory Gilmore is the Worst Character in Gilmore Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.
Rory is a homebody.

Don’t get me wrong -there is nothing wrong with being a homebody. But I view life through a lens of trying new things and stepping out of my comfort zone. Rory liked her books, did well in school and stayed in with her mom, Lorelai, for the most part. 

Instead, Rory focuses on routine and leads a predictable lifestyle. For example, she always attends the town meetings and goes to Luke’s Diner every morning. What Rory fails to undertake is a change in her lifestyle choices. I would have loved to see her travelling more and backpacking worldwide.

Rory avoids her problems.

Due to her sixteen-age gap, Rory and her mom Lorelai have a close relationship. Perhaps Lorelai and Rory’s relationship are more like best friends than actual mom and daughter. When Lorelai and Rory fight, Rory runs away from her problems instead of facing them right there. For example, in one episode she goes to her grandparents for the night. 

Rory teaches the younger generation to run away from their problems when young viewers should be empowered to talk about their issues instead of running away from them. #Girlbossmoment! Avoiding is not the solution – trust me.

Rory never had to work for anything. 

What is different and exciting about Rory and Lorelai is their work ethic. Despite having Rory at sixteen, Lorelai gave her every opportunity her mom did not. Lorelai has a job at Independence Inn, providing for herself and Rory. In addition, Lorelai has a warm home for them. Yet, straight As came easy to Rory in school. She also never had to worry about food because they always went to Luke’s diner.

Environmentally unfriendly

Throughout the show, Rory and her mom have Luke’s dinner constantly. Ranging from pancakes and hamburgers, but most importantly, coffee! I am all in for promoting a healthy lifestyle, and eating out is okay but every time within the show? 

I think Rory and Lorelai would benefit from having sit-down dinners, just the two of them. Coming from a family with sit-down dinners and home-cooked meals really does increase your sense of belonging. 

They do not ever eat healthy. As a first-time watcher as a kid, I thought this show was great. Rory didn’t have to eat her green beans as I did; she ate French fries.

Yale admissions

Lately, many shows have been doing this where the main character goes off to prestige college institute. In this case, Rory with Yale. There’s nothing wrong with Yale; however, it’s only sometimes a reality for me. People need to understand that going to a college or university that is not “ivy league” is okay. You make the most of your experience, and that’s what matters. 

Who knew a fictional character could have so much influence on the younger me? I laugh about it now. 

Hi everyone, Madison Traquair (Maddy) is one of the writers here at Her Campus UWindsor. Maddy is responsible for writing biweekly articles for her chapter. Prior to joining HC, Maddy was (and still is) a full-time student studying at the University of Windsor.Maddy loves to write about her life as a student, selfcare, movies, and entertainment. Maddy is also involved with the psychology student’s association (PSA). In the PSA, Maddy is the financial coordinator, meaning that she is responsible for direct deposits and the club’s money management/ funds. Beyond Her Campus involvement, Maddy works in landscaping and nannying children. She loves to devote her time towards helping children and putting a smile on their faces. Currently, Maddy is a senior at the University of Windsor, studying full time honours sociology with a minor in psychology and geography. In her free time, Maddy loves being outside and staying active. She loves spending her free time rollerblading, running, and going to the gym. Maddy also has an artistic side. She loves to paint and draw, specifically fashion designs. Maddy also likes to prioritize her mental health by doing selfcare. You can find Maddy around being a social butterfly, always meeting new people and hanging out with her friends. Maddy is always down for stepping out of her comfort zone and trying new things.