Why It’s Important to Support Women of Colour in STEM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Gender bias coupled with racial bias is a toxic combination which adversely affects Women of Colour (WOC)  in Western communities. WOC in STEM-related fields are 77% more likely to have to prove themselves to supervisors and other people in positions of authority. This causes them to have difficulty seeking jobs, and it leads to feelings of inferiority for these WOC. 

Prominent WOC in STEM have included Katherine Johnson, an African American mathematician at NASA, who helped send the first American into space (based on metathetical calculations). She also helped send John Glenn into orbit in 1962. However, not many people know about her story and her prominent role in this. Another key WOC was Dr. Flossie Wong-Staal, who was the first scientist to clone HIV and complete a genetic map of the virus – this helped identify and link HIV as the cause of AIDs. There are countless other women who shaped and influenced modern medicine and science; however, very little is known about these women and their legacies might be clouded by other White men in STEM based fields, such as Watson and Crick, who have always been associated with DNA’s double-helix structure instead of Rosalind Franklin. It is important to acknowledge WOC and pave the way for their success in STEM based fields. 

WOC have played such a prominent role in STEM based fields; thus it’s important to cultivate an environment of support and appreciation for them. This will lead to more women pursuing graduate degrees and will show them that their efforts are being recognized. Additionally, they need to have more positive interactions. For instance, in their jobs, WOC experience discrimination practices (microaggressions), verbal and environmental mistreatment, and often times, the goals of these talented and ambitious WOC are not recognized.

To better support these WOC we can incorporate more peer support and mentorship for young WOC in STEM fields from other WOC in these fields. This will give these young girls a feeling of hope and prove to them that there are people like them, who look like them and may have encountered similar challenges to theirs. This may be motivational for them and cause them to pursue challenging fields in STEM that are still dominated by White men. Another technique to amplify WOC voices in STEM is to understand and listen to their perspectives when they do raise concerns or give their input on valuable topics. This acknowledges them and makes them feel heard which also reminds them that they have a place in these STEM-based fields and deserve to be at the table. If you’re a White woman/man in STEM, look for ways to actively help and support your WOC colleagues. Consider giving them input, learning more about their culture/background, or even just engaging in social activities with your peers. Your actions can make us feel heard. 

Overall, it is evident that WOC have so many valuable contributions that they can make to STEM-related fields. So many voices are not amplified appropriately, which can hinder scientific progress. Thus, we must take action and help these WOC succeed and thrive.  

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.