jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why It’s Important to Be Picky with Online Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

With the options of Tinder, Bumble, OkCupid and other dating apps it’s important more than ever that you remain picky with who you decide to accept a date from. Dating apps and services allow those of us who think we can’t meet potential significant others in real life, or those of us who are too shy or just downright lazy – we want to date right now without giving in any effort – to meet someone special. In this case, dating apps can be the perfect answer to all our problems. But there is one catch, you never know who you’re going to meet.

Sure, lots of people find the right guy or girl who is just the right type of normal for them on their first try in the online dating world, but there are millions of singles out there you definitely want to stay away from. I believe there is someone for everyone but it’s important to be cautious because you don’t want to seriously get hurt or end up in a horrible situation. I’m sure I don’t need to advise anyone that meeting strangers online can be dangerous. Often it’s going to take a while and a few bad and mediocre dates before you even meet someone you want a second date with.

Being picky when it comes to dating makes you sound like you’re shallow and judgemental but no relationships work unless there is attraction and chemistry. The worst dates are when you’re not completely put off by someone but there is still just something that is not right about the idea of you two together. Often these types of dates will make you feel confused and unsure whether to end everything or give it another try. We have all been down that road where we think we’ll just give someone a chance and we will end up liking them eventually. This never works out, sure we can grow feelings for someone that once was not there, but once you really know a person and you still do not like them your heart and mind are not going to change even if you want them to.

That’s why if there is even the slightest hesitation when you meet someone in online dating just decide right then and there that that person is not the match for you. When it comes to who you want to share even a portion of your life with, it’s important who they are. So remember to be picky, because if you’re not, you’re going to end up in a really awkward situation. Feelings will get hurt and let’s just hope nothing else does too.

Rachael is a fourth year double-major in English and History. She is both a writer and editor for Her Campus. She spends most of her time trying to multi-task but spends the majority of her day watching Netflix, reading, or hanging with friends.