This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Every nation has diversity because many individuals come from unique backgrounds; this diversity is a major strength. However, some individuals may view diversity and other cultures as intervening upon their rights and they may express racist sentiment. This sentiment can be due to misinformed beliefs and notions that may be expressed using hateful slurs such as, “go back to your own country”, and even by creating an uncomfortable environment. A lot of these beliefs can also be due to a hostile political climate and can affect minorities through additional stress, acculturation, and feeling like they don’t “fit in.” To welcome and accept diversity it is important to be culturally competent. 

Firstly, cultural competency involves meeting the social, cultural, and linguistic needs of individuals within society (either in the workplace or in other non-professional situations). If you find yourself staring at a woman in a Burqa the next time you are out shopping then this might be seen as impolite and cause them to feel unaccepted. Even if you are intrigued by the Burqa and might not have ill-intentions, you should not stare. Imagine if someone stared at you the next time you were out in public. How would you feel? You can start by reading up on Islamic norms and understanding that the Burqa is not a symbol of oppression or a “costume.” Apply this practice to any other cultural difference that you find hard to understand.

In addition, if you are curious and don’t know what resources to consult, you can start by asking an Imam at the Mosque, or a Rabbi, or any other individual belonging to a specific culture that you might be curious about. Put aside any notions that you might have based on Western media. It is always better to be curious rather than assume – always ask! This prevents stereotypes and further instances of ignorance. Try experiencing these rich cultures. If your friend is Mexican ask them about Día de Muertos and their traditions.  You might be surprised when you learn about their authentic traditions and ways this might differ from the Western portrayal. You can also ask your close friends to have a multicultural party/pot-luck and try learning about their unique dishes. 

Lastly, the root of ignorance is a “me only” mentality. Anthropologists use the term ‘ethnocentrism’ to describe this type of mentality. This means that you see your culture as the only culture that exists, and this can cause you to have a ‘them’ versus ‘us’ mentality. This contributes to the alienation of minorities and further contributes to minority stress. The above suggestions can help you understand and address this type of mentality. This type of conversation with yourself can help you move forward to being more accepting of diversity. The next time you hear about Eid or Diwali or Rosh Hashanah, ask your friend about the celebration. Wish them happiness on these celebratory events and learn more about ways that you can join or support them in their celebration. By indulging in these types of experiences and reflections it helps other minorities feel more accepted.  

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.