This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Are you looking to get involved within our community? Do you have extra time to spare or need a few volunteer hours for school, but want it to be meaningful? Looking to enhance your resume? Having a hard time volunteering due to COVID-19 because you  can’t leave home? You’ve come to the right place! Keep reading to learn more about some local volunteer opportunities, their purpose, and some key takeaways!

1. Virtual Board Member Volunteers: Protecting Kids
    1. Commitment: Approx. 1 hour per month
    2. What it is: An international nonprofit looking to reduce risks for children and those who may be vulnerable online (easy for people who need volunteer hours without leaving home!). Seeking volunteers with experience in administration or management to help run the corporation, however, experience is NOT mandatory.
    3. Learn more at HelpUsDefend.com.
  2. Volunteer: Petition/Rally Supporters – Protecting Kids Online
    1. Commitment: Approx. a  few hours per week
    2. What it is: Run by the same organization listed above, this opportunity encompasses seeking to help children from home.
    3. Learn more at HelpUsDefend.com about this specific role. There are many other roles under the Protecting Kids Online that could use some volunteers!
  3. WECCC Community Connector Volunteers
    1. Commitment: Volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of 6 months
    2. What it is: You will be working with people who feel lonely and isolated, struggle with health or disabilities, need assistance with food, housing, financial security, and employment, or face discrimination and stigma.
    3. Learn more at workforcewindsoressex.com.
  4. Summer Eats for Kids Volunteer Opportunity—United Way
    1. Commitment: On your own basis!
    2. What it is: Provides children and families in Windsor-Essex with nutritious snacks, fruits, and vegetables during the months when school nutrition programs are closed. This program also offers books for all ages.
    3. Learn more at https://www.weareunited.com/servlet/eAndar.article/776/Summer-Eats-for-Kids-Program
  5. City of Windsor Snow Angels
    1. Commitment: On your own basis in the snow time, additional 40-hour community involvement is available!
    2. What it is: An excellent opportunity to get some exercise and help in local neighborhoods as you clear snow from the city sidewalks! For students in high school, especially, this program is a great way to achieve your 40-hour community involvement! ! Must be 16 years of age or older to volunteer.

We hope this little list of volunteer opportunities in our area helps guide you towards areas of your interest in volunteering and motivates you towards your search! Be sure to check out the websites for more details.

Gauri Kumar

UWindsor '24

A dedicated, enthusiastic and driven Nursing Student at the University of Windsor with a passion for providing support and quality health care to our community. In her free time, she enjoys finding opportunities to support others, get involved, and take on challenges. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out!