Career > Money

Vacation Budgeting: The Struggles When Going Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Just like the rest of earth’s population, I’ve been stuck at home and not traveling ever since that glorious day in March 2020 when the government initiated lock down. Since I hadn’t been traveling anywhere, you’d think it was safe to assume I had an abundance of money that’s been put aside for trips, but no. When I went to check my savings account, I came to the lovely realization that I had no vacation money. Before you say it, yes I had taken into account big purchases like tuition or a new laptop, but even then I should’ve still had some spending money leftover. So where’d it all go?

It wasn’t until I was shopping at the mall with a friend, and before dropping $80 on pants that she said, “It’s not like I’m saving up to go anywhere,” and then it hit me. I’ve had the exact same mentality as her throughout this entire pandemic. Every time I decide to get Starbucks just because the app told me it was my “double stars day today” or whenever I use SkipTheDishes because it’s easier, I haven’t been too concerned about the price tags of these things since I have no big plans. In a pre-pandemic world I’d be much more frugal when spending on clothes, food, going out, etc. Now, don’t be fooled into thinking it was because I’m what adults would call “financially responsible.” In reality it was just because I wanted to be able to afford the random sea shell necklace I’ll only ever wear on that trip, or the shirt that would let the world know that I’ve been to Florida. But now, the only thing I’m saving up for is books and tuition (I know, my life is very exciting). So the question is, at what point do I revert back to my pre-pandemic saving ways?

I could go on and on about how there’s always new variants and an ever changing definition of “lockdown,” but I won’t get into that because I know you’ve been living it too, and you guys most definitely don’t need me frustrating you even more over this never ending cycle. So keeping this in mind: as much as I would love to go back to budgeting with optimism and hope for a future trip, I don’t see it being a realistic goal just yet. Especially when considering I’d have to stop relying on overpriced beverages to boost my daily serotonin levels. The trade off doesn’t seem worth it until I know I won’t have to cancel yet another fun trip I had planned. 

Although there have still been many advantages to having the extra spending money, this could range from never missing out on dinners out or escape rooms just because I can’t afford it, all the way to simply affording gas (can’t help but love inflation). And especially with in person just starting up and meeting an abundance of funny, interesting and talented people, the last thing I’d want to do is miss out on core memories just because it wasn’t in the budget. So, the overall takeaway from this is that it’s true, you win some, you lose some, because sometimes the unexpected trade off is better than the original intention.

Liz Case

UWindsor '25

Liz Case is a writer at the University of Windsor Her Campus chapter. She writes and publishes articles on a weekly basis to the site. Her articles tend to cover diverse topics usually pertaining to her own life experiences or current events. She is currently in third year at the University of Windsor pursuing her Bachelors of Applied Science in Industrial Engineering with a Minor in Business Administration. When she isn’t writing for Her Campus or studying, she works as a Dance Teacher at a local dance studio. She is also a member of other university organizations including the Lancers Competitive Dance Company as well as a member of the FSA (Filipino Student Association). In her free time she likes to play various instruments as well as whatever hobby is of current interest. This of course includes regular young adult activities such as working out and hanging out with friends.