UWindsor fall fashion trends of 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

When the seasons change, many things change along with it: we come back to campus, change our Starbucks drinks, and of course, our fashion choices, which we get to show off as we make our way to Leddy Library for another study session.  So what are the “In Trends” at the University of Windsor for Fall 2014?

1. The “Lob”

The lob, or long-bob hairstyle, popularized by many celebrities, including Taylor Swift and Jennifer Aniston, has been a very popular haircut for many girls around UWindsor. 

2.  Sporty trend 

Who wouldn’t want to be as comfy as possible in class? Or who wants to have to carry around workout clothes and a pair of jeans? Wearing yoga or spandex pants as everyday clothes is becoming very popular around campus.  To dress up a pair of your favourite yoga pants for class, try pairing them with a neutral cardigan, tunic, and big scarf, along with a knee-high boot!

3. Natural makeup emphasized by eyeliner

Bright eye shadow colours are slowly fading away in popularity, and natural makeup looks are taking over.  Of course, your fall makeup look could not be complete without the black liquid winged eyeliner that every girl loves to rock.  In order to get the perfect winged eyeliner, try resting your elbow on a flat surface while you draw the line, and start with the wing, working backward toward the inner corner.  Your result will be a perfectly smooth line!

4. Knit, knit, and more knit

Knit hats, scarves, and especially sweaters are back and making a statement this year. Knit clothing keeps you warm and looking stylish, and at least one knit accessory or clothing piece is a must-have this fall. 

5.  Knee-high or over-the-knee boots

Boots have always been a fall trend, but around campus this year, the higher the boot, the more stylish it is. This leather footwear can be found in black, brown, beige, or grey and fake buckles and zippers usually compliment the boot.

6. Plaid flannel shirts 

Plaid flannel shirts are a favourite this fall. Whether the shirt is purple, black, red, green, pink, or a mixture of many colours, it is a very popular trend.

7. Loose, curly hair with caramel highlights

If you’re not rocking the “lob”, loose curls are in now as well. Tight curls are gorgeous, but for fall, big curls are where it’s at. Some have even spiced this look up with some light caramel highlights, or a subtle red colour is always a favourite.

8. Green and burgundy 

Of course, what is a list of trends without naming the colours that have been making statements? Dark green and burgundy have been a big hit around the University of Windsor this year. Having a knit sweater in one of these colours is even better, as it combines two major trends for this season!

9. Chunky necklaces

The jewelry that has made many appearances this year around campus is the chunky necklace. Whether you are going to a fancy event, or you just feel like wearing a necklace that day, the chunkier it is, the better.

10. Skinny jeans and leggings… what about jeggings?

Tight pants are very popular right now.  Whether it’s skinny jeans, leggings, or a mix between the two, this is the most popular pant choice at UWindsor this fall!

Hi everyone, my name is Sadie and I am a third year student studying Sociology. My hobbies include reading, writing, horseback riding, and eating sushi with friends.
Lucy Hopkins is pursuing a career in public relations whilst studying Communications at McMaster University.