This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

The sun is starting to stay out longer, and live music has been making a come-back. Although it’s still cold out, it’s the perfect time to check out new and local artists. If you’re looking to switch up your weekend routine, I recommend going to see a gig at a local bar (Supporting local artists and local businesses? Sign me up). There are so many reasons to support local artists, which I’ve touched on in a previous article (which you can read here), but this series is dedicated to musicians and bands in Southwestern Ontario that you should add to your bucket list.

To kick it off, I’m going to introduce you to the Hedge Hoppers.

I’ve had the absolute pleasure of interviewing this band before, so obviously I’ll do anything bring them up again! Hailing from London, Ontario, this rock group is currently on tour with Small Town Strip Club, making a stop in Windsor on February 11th!

The band released their debut album, If You Want Me to Stay, in September of 2022, and sold out their album launch party (with the band Hartlet), at the Rum Runners in London, Ontario.

“[We’ve had a] great response from our album,” frontman Calvin Kelly said. They’re also getting well-deserved attention from other local bands, and are playing in London’s music incubator program later this month.

On top of touring, the band is getting back in the studio, and working on a new sound. “Think modern rock and let your imagination run wild,” Calvin added. Personally, I can’t wait to hear what they come up with next!

I’ve seen this group of incredibly talented musicians at a variety of locations, and they never fail to bring the energy. They perform just as well live as they do in recordings, and if you’re looking to expand your Canadian music repertoire, I highly recommend starting with the Hedge Hoppers.

You can visit their Instagram here, or you can check out their Spotify or Apple Music to listen.

Jaime Nemett

UWindsor '24

Jaime is an undergrad student in Forensics Science with a concentration in Biology at UWindsor. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, music, drawing, and rewatching her favourite TV shows and movies.