The Truth About Concussions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Concussions are often a result of sport-related injuries, and 5-10% of athletes will experience a concussion while they are playing a sport. This past summer, I experienced my first (and hopefully last) concussion. I ride horses and I have been riding for 13 years. I have fallen off plenty of times but have never been severely injured. In June I was riding and ended up falling off my horse and hitting my head, which resulted in the concussion. This is what I learned about concussions from my experience:

1. Amnesia is very real but is very different for every person.

Everyone’s experience is different, which includes how and if people experience amnesia. Media often portrays amnesia as a situation where people don’t remember who they are or what happened during the past few years of their lives. While this can happen, it is not very common and for me personally, after I regained consciousness, I knew who I was, I knew where I was, however I did not know how I had gotten there or anything that had happened that day. Even after recovery, the whole day and even up to a few days before the accident, feels like a dream, as if I can’t pin point if something actually happened or not. I still have no recollection of the incident.

2. Unconsciousness often accompanies concussions.            

Then there’s blacking out. Some people lose consciousness and some do not. If you do pass out, your concussion is considered more severe and is labeled as a level 3 concussion. But you do not have to be unconscious to have a concussion.

3. Hospital trips are necessary but still suck.

Next is the trip to the hospital. Not everyone who gets a concussion goes to the hospital, but it is a good idea because they will run a CAT scan to make sure there is no bleeding in the brain. For me, Since I blacked out, the people I was with called an ambulance and I was transferred to the hospital immediately. I spent about 3 hours in the hospital, which was a short time compared to when people have to go to the emergency room. Going to the hospital is a good idea, however it is never a fun experience. The doctor I had asked me what had happened and when I told him I wasn’t sure, he asked how I didn’t know what happened. Well, that would be because I have a concussion and have amnesia.

4. Doctors give you very little information on concussions.

I was then released from the hospital knowing I had a concussion but given no other information than a head injury fact sheet from the hospital. The fact sheet was equipped with false information, such as the fact that you must wake the concussed person up every hour; this is only the case within the first few hours of getting a head injury. Once you have been cleared and know that there is no bleeding of the brain, sleep is actually needed for the patient.

5. It’s not over once you leave the hospital.

The aftermath of my concussion was probably the worst part. I was off work for a week and a half and I suffered from a constant headache for about 2 weeks straight. I was told to rotate Advil and Tylenol, however no medications worked to cure my headache, not even Tylenol 3’s.

6. You can’t do anything while you’re recovering.

The worst fact about concussion aftermath in my opinion is the no screen time rule. Or the limit of an hour a day that my family doctor gave me. This is one hour total of watching TV, being on the computer, and texting combined. Now, when you’re not working, you’re not allowed to play sports, and you’re not allowed to watch TV and go online, what does one do? Reading was an option but have you ever tried reading with a constant pounding headache? It is not very fun. My doctor suggested that I go outside and listen to the birds… how long can one do that for?

7. You’re sleep patterns are a mess after the fact.

I used this time to try to catch up on sleep, however the concussion also affected my sleep. I could not sleep for more than three hours at a time for about a week. I would sleep for three hours and then wake up and not be able to fall asleep for at least another two hours, and this pattern continued. Sleep is often disturbed by concussions since it messes up your brain activity. Even now, three months after the concussion occurred, I still have sleep issues.

8. There are future risks.

The main thing after experiencing a concussion is the risk of getting another concussion. For the first month after getting a concussion, it is very important to stay out of anything that could give you another head injury. Not only is it easier to get another concussion, but it can cause severe brain damage.  

9. Even wearing helmets can’t protect you from concussions, but not wearing them can be much worse.

Concussions are just a consequence of sports; it happens, but the knowledge that it does happen should be used to persuade people to take necessary precautions such as wearing helmets during sports. I was told directly by the paramedics how fortunate it was that I was wearing a helmet and how it could have ended much differently if I had not been.

After my concussion experience, I can safely say that I never wish to experience that again. Make sure to wear a helmet and be safe, and if you do experience a concussion, consult medical professionals and take care of yourself!

Hi everyone, my name is Sadie and I am a third year student studying Sociology. My hobbies include reading, writing, horseback riding, and eating sushi with friends.
Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.