Travelling via the Internet: Virtual Museum Tours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Self-isolating doesn’t mean you have to just lay around watching Netflix all day.  You can mix it up by taking advantage of all the cool virtual tours that museums around the world are making available! Below is a list of a few of my favourites that I have explored and enjoyed learning about. 

Winchester House 

The Winchester house, located in San Jose, California, is famous for being one of the few mansions that was constantly under construction and is said to be haunted by the ghosts of those who were killed by Winchester rifles. This 50-minute tour will take you through the house, providing fun facts about those that lived here and the materials that were used to build the house. 

Museo Frida Kahlo 

Museo Frida Kahlo, a museum located in Ciudad de México, Mexico, is the home of Frida Kahlo, a renowned Latin American artist. Along with the home is an additional building full of folk art, fashion, pre-Hispanic pieces; items showing admiration for the people and cultures within Mexico. 

National Women’s History Museum

Interested in learning more about Women’s History? This is the perfect museum for you! This comprehensive collection includes topics in S.T.E.M., outdoor activities, fashion, politics, the Olympics, famous females, and many other areas. You could spend hours here, and when the history is paired with photos from the era, it adds to the experiences. 

Smithsonian: National Museum of Natural History 

Ever since watching Night at the Museum 2, it has always been a goal of mine to visit the Smithsonian. Through this very detailed, interactive tour, you are able to visit all of their exhibits, permanent, temporary, and past. From the animal skeletons to the prehistoric replicas, everything in the museum is accessible through your computer screen!

Now, if you are interested in looking at more museums, the https://artsandculture.google.com/ is the website for you. it has museums that you didn’t even know existed, and you are able to explore and learn about them.

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.