books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Top Summer Reads to Add to Your Shelf This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Red, White, and Royal Blue – May 14, 2019

When the son of the President of the United States and the Prince of England end up in a difficult situation after a mishap at the Royal Wedding, their parents force them to spend more time together to create a positive image for the media. Between plane hopping and jet lag, romance blooms between the two in this New Adult romance. With its themes of family, unachieved dreams and LGBT, this book should be at the top of your book want list.

I actually read and reviewed this book a few months ago and fell in love with the characters and the storyline. This is a unique book, and I cannot express how up-to-date the topics they discuss are, and this is easily one of my favourite reads this year.

These Witches Don’t Burn – May 28, 2019

In a world where witches are real, Hannah is an Elemental—controller of the all four elements. But this must remain secret for fear of the non-witches catching on. As Hannah spends her time working at a local tourist store and avoiding her ex-girlfriend, a terrifying blood ritual interupts her final year of school. Combining dark magic with themes of LGBTQ, the book follow these girls as they try to figure out how to solve their supernatural crisis before the Salem witch trials repeats itself.

Sorcery of Thorns – June 4, 2019

Austermeer’s, a fantasy world where sorcerers are evil, Elizabeth has grown up in one of the land’s Great Libraries. Great evil lurks under the leather spines of the books, and if provoked, all could burn down in flames. As Elizabeth teams up with one of her worst enemies, she begins to question everything she has grown up knowing, question how it will change her future.

Wicked Fox – June 25, 2019

Gu Miyoung is a Gumiho, a nine-tailed fox who eats the energy of men in order to survive. When Miyoung chooses to save the life of a boy instead of devouring it, she loses her fox soul. In order to save herself from the murderous forces that surround her, she must choose between her immortal life or the boy she is falling for. Based off of the Gumiho creature in Asian mythology, Miyoung discovers who her true self is.

Spin the Dawn – July 9, 2019

This YA fantasy is pitched as Project Runway meets Mulan! Maia Tamarin dreams of becoming the greatest tailor—but being a female, that dream is not possible. As she poses as a boy, she is sent to the royal palace, in which she must accomplish three impossible tasks in order to survive.

These books sound amazing, and I cannot wait to get my hands on them!

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.