Top Reads to Get into the Halloween Spirit 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

1. And Then There Were None

1. Agatha Christie, the queen of mystery. This was the first book I read of her’s and it got me hooked on her writing! What starts off as a normal party on an island turns awry when people start dying. Left to solve the mystery before its too late, the protagonist intertwines this murder mystery into a chilling page-turner. 

1. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

1. This series has been with me since childhood, and whenever I pick it up it still gives me the shivers. While these stories are fiction, they will leave you awake at night, jumping at sudden sounds, and leave goosebumps on your skin long after finishing it.

1. The Saturday Night Ghost Club

1. Written by a Canadian and taking place in Niagara Falls, follow this group of friends as they investigate ghost stories and urban myths in their hometown. This book just entered my radar, and I have started it myself to help get into the spooky spirit!

1. The Screaming Staircase

1. Don’t underestimate this book just because it is a Middle Grade read. This has been one of my favourite ghost books I have read this year, and the only reason I picked it up is because a co-worker had recommended it to me. In the story, ghosts are wreaking havoc and paranormal companies, run by children, are sent to catch these ghosts. Through its combination of suspense and horror, it is a super quick read that will leave you wanting more!

1. The Last Time I Lied

1. Just thinking about this book brings back the chills I got while reading it. What starts off as a harmless game of Two Truths and a Lie turns deadly when two girls are never heard from again. Turn to the present when the survivors are grown up and decide to return to camp and find out what really happened that night from their youth. This is one of my favourite books from Riley Sager, and it will have you flying through the story with how captivating it is. 

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.