Wellness > Mental Health

Three Ways to Combat Seasonal Depression (S.A.D) this Winter.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Seasonal Affective Disorder, commonly known as seasonal depression or SAD, can feel exhausting, especially now with the Coronavirus and the recurring lockdown measures. Seasonal depression can feel scary, lonesome, and tiring. You might feel lost and not understand what’s wrong with you, but you are not alone.. According to the American Psychiatric Association, about 5% of adults in the U.S experience SAD during the fall and winter season. Combating the winter blues can be possible by  following 3 different steps:

Maintaining a Routine:

Studies have continuously proven over the years the importance of building and maintaining a routine. It helps lower stress levels and improve sleep quality. Your routine should be tailored to your life but some general rules are to get plenty of sleep, drink lots of water, and get some steps in between. A well-made routine can be beneficial to your overall health and most importantly it can help you have something to look forward to throughout the day, whether it’s that hot cup of tea before bed or your morning meditation. Routines allow us to have a purpose and to gain motivation, which helps us have better overall health, better sleep quality, and extra energy. 

Finding your Hobby:

Hobbies are fundamentally important in living a fun and enriched life because they can  enhance your quality of living and bring joy. It acts as a destresser and promotes overall wellness. Anything can be a hobby since they are essentially things you enjoy doing during your leisure time. This can be anything from reading to crocheting to woodworking or even making a fantasy football team. The point of a hobby isn’t to perfect the skill, but to destress while doing something you enjoy. It can be your hobby, It might take you a while to find something you truly enjoy and that’s okay, because you have time. 

Staying in Contact with Friends & Family:

While having the winter blues can feel lonesome and isolating, it doesn’t have to be this way for you. It’s important to stay in contact with your loved ones, especially during these unprecedented times. It’s human nature to feel lonely from lack of communication and physical touch; we’re social creatures by nature and it’s crucial to reach out and talk to the people you love and trust. Talking to friends and family whether it’s face to face or virtually  helps combat SAD and feel less lonely. Talking with the people you love will help your brain release dopamine and as a result also increases your serotonin levels. These two are commonly referred to as your happy hormones and cause you to feel surges of positive emotions.

While these tips can help you combat SAD and feel much better, it’s important to know that it’s okay to seek help and/or treatment. Below I typed the Canadian hotline for suicide prevention and they operate 24/7.

Canada Suicide Prevention Service

833-456-4566 

Ayat Ibrahim

UWindsor '24

Ayat is a fourth year English Literature student, lover of cats, food and coffee. In her spare time, she can be found either reading or watching bad sitcoms.