Life > Academics

Three Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting Forensics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

It’s the time of year for university applications, tours, and making decisions. The thought of being suddenly independent can be incredibly exciting or incredibly anxiety-inducing. I was part of the latter group. Beginning my post-secondary career in a smaller program was scary, but not knowing what to expect was scarier. I had never taken a forensics class before, and I didn’t know what I was getting into.

I’m now three years into my degree, and I wouldn’t change my decision. That being said, I still wish I knew things about my program beforehand so I wouldn’t feel blindsided.

1.       The gap between high school and university isn’t as big as you think it is.

When I started university, I was so nervous about how big the jump from high school science to university science would be. News flash—it’s not big at all. I spent my first year basically relearning topics from high school, just with added detail. Professors have to make sure that students are all on the same level, so don’t be surprised when first year sciences seem familiar. Even in forensics courses, the new information isn’t hard to understand, and the professors do a fantastic job making sure we do.

2.       It may take you a bit to figure out how to compartmentalize.

Compartmentalization is important in forensics, especially  learning to separate your feelings on a subject from the facts of the matter. Forensics deals with heavy topics and images that can be triggering or confronting, and not immediately becoming desensitized to the topics is normal. It doesn’t mean that you aren’t cut out for the field, it just means you have to practice.

Mental health services are commonly available for employees in jobs which deal with challenging subjects, and needing to talk to someone about what you’re learning doesn’t make you weak.

3.       Professors want you to succeed.

Professors are obviously passionate about their subjects, and want students to love it too. So, if you’re finding a specific subject to be hard (looking at you, organic chemistry), use the resources your school has available. Especially with forensics, office hours are a fantastic starting point. From there, talk to your TAs, connect with others in your program, and see what prep courses your schools offer (Windsor SOS offers some really great programs).

Jaime Nemett

UWindsor '24

Jaime is an undergrad student in Forensics Science with a concentration in Biology at UWindsor. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, music, drawing, and rewatching her favourite TV shows and movies.