Three of my favourite Instant Pot recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

If you’re really into cooking like I am, you have probably heard of the infamous Instant Pot. If you’re unfamiliar with it, the Instant Pot is a pressure cooker that allows people to cook a large variety of meals in a fraction of the time. I have recently gotten really into using mine and decided to compile a list of my all-time favourite recipes!

1. Cheddar Broccoli Soup 

I have always been OBSESSED with cheddar broccoli soup, but I find that the amount of prep work and cooking time makes it difficult to make. Broccoli cheddar soup was one of the first things I made with my instant pot, and it is so much better than I could’ve ever imagined! If you are new to the Instant pot and are looking for a relatively easy recipe to start with, look no further! 

Here is the recipe for those who are interested: 

Ingredients: 

• 2 tablespoons butter

• 1 cup diced onion

• 2 cloves garlic

• 4 cups vegetable broth

• 4 cups bite-sized broccoli florets

• 1 cup grated carrots

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

• 1/4 cup corn starch

• 1/4 cup cold water

• 2 cups cream or half-and-half

• 2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Instructions:

1. Select browning/saute to preheat the pressure cooker. Add the butter and onion, and saute for about 3 minutes until the onion is translucent.

2. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.

3. Stir in the vegetable broth, broccoli, carrots, salt, and pepper.

4. Lock the lid in place, make sure the vent is set to seal, and select high pressure and 1 minute cook time.

5. When the cooking time ends, use the quick pressure release. When the valve drops, remove the lid carefully.

6. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and cold water until smooth.

7. Set the pressure cook to saute/browning, and slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the pot. Stir constantly until the soup comes to a boil and thickens.

8. Turn off the pressure cooker. Slowly stir in the cream or half-and-half.

9. Add the cheese a handful at a time and stir until it melts. You’re done!

2.  Salsa Chicken Tacos

Tacos are always my go-to, and these Instant Pot chicken tacos are super quick and easy! What I also love about this recipe is that you can add whatever toppings you want, or you can eat them just the way they are. If you love tacos and are looking for a super quick and easy meal, then make sure to try these out. 

Here’s the recipe!

Ingredients: 

• 3 – 4 skinless/boneless chicken breasts 

• 2 tsp garlic powder

• 1 tsp oregano

• A jar of salsa

Instructions: 

1. Season chicken breasts on all sides with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

2. Put 1/2 cup of salsa in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Then add the chicken breasts to the pot, setting them on the salsa

3. Sprinkle the oregano over the chicken.

4. Pour the remaining salsa over the chicken, covering it

5. Put the lid on the pot and set the steam release knob to the sealing position.

6. Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button and cook for 10-12 minutes. 

7. When the cooking cycle has ended, let the pot sit undisturbed for 10 minutes to naturally release the pressure. Then, after 10 minutes, manually release any remaining pressure. 

8. Remove the chicken to a large bowl and shred it, using two forks, then add it back to the pot.

9. Once the chicken is shredded, use it in tacos, and add toppings of your choice (my favourites are red onion, lettuce and cheddar cheese!

3. Creamy Chicken Pasta

I am a big fan of pasta, and I love any opportunity to make pasta! So of course, I have the best Instant Pot pasta recipe. Creamy chicken pasta is a very easy and delicious recipe that will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters! If you’re looking for a very low-prep and filling meal, this is the recipe for you.

Try it out for yourself! 

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

• 1 tablespoon butter

• 2 cloves garlic cloves, minced

• 2 chicken breasts or thighs, cut into squares

• 1 box of chicken stock

• 1 cup milk 

• 1 pound pasta (I prefer penne) 

• 8 ounces cream cheese

• parmesan cheese

• basil, chiffonade 

• pepper

Instructions:

1. Set Instant Pot to the sauté setting, and add the olive oil and butter. 

2. Sauté the garlic for 2 minutes, until caramelized

3. Add the chicken, stock, pasta, and milk. 

4. Release the pressure and remove the lid. Stir in the cream cheese.

5. Add in pasta

6. Close and lock the Instant Pot and set to manually pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.

7. Garnish with parmesan, basil, and pepper

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.