Things You Didn’t Know You Needed to Study

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Every semester I find that I change my study routine slightly. The things that worked for another class might not work for the current semester. Or, they just get boring. Here are just a few things that have made a world of difference to me this academic semester:

1.) Vitamin String Quartet

If you like music while studying/writing/researching but are finding it hard to get into anything you listen to, then open up the Vitamin String Quartet on Spotify. They record classical renditions of pop songs, so you know the songs already but don’t have the words to distract you from your work. This is a great alternative to most classical playlists because the songs are livelier as they are pop covers. This has helped my mind stay focused more than my old playlists of movie instrumentals and Alpha music because I am enjoying the music (while not being distracted by it) and also my mind is staying active rather than zoning out to relax.

2.) A Proper Office Space

More and more I’m learning just how much the environment of your space affects the environment of your mind. It might take a bit of savings, but investing in great office equipment (most of which you can buy second hand or on great deals) and keeping your space clean and organized is essential to putting you in the right mindset to work. Like any office, don’t forget to make it aesthetically pleasing and creative so that you’ll actually want to be there. In addition to working more effectively, having a separate office space from your living and sleeping space has proven to separate work/school life from your actual life, thus improving your overall stress levels.

3.) Homemade Coffee

Often we want to run to the coffee shop and work there because it’s a habitual routine that gets us motivated and in the work mood. Cafes are my safe space so I am a huge advocate for all that they do. However, to get some real work done, you don’t want to be around a place with loud steaming equipment, bustling traffic, and table neighbours who have an investable conversation. Cafes can be great for a treat, and they can be a great space for creative work, but when you’re trying to memorize and build concepts in your mind, it can be a bit too distracting. Making your coffee at home will also save you tons of money. Just track your cafe receipts and you’ll see how much you might actually be spending on your daily study grind. Another bonus is you’ll help reduce waste and save the environment by using dishes at home and using only as much water as you personally need. You can easily get the comfort of a cafe’s beverage in your own space at home and feel great about the money in your pocket and the happy turtles in the ocean. 

By creating an amazing studying atmosphere with the right music and beverage to motivate you, you’re sure to kill those midterms and essays! I’m sure you’ll find a noticeable difference in your work ethic like I have if you try any of these studying essentials.

I've always been a writer. I'm a Sagittarius with an INFP personality type. I have cats and dogs and love all animals. I am an ovo-lacto pescetarian veering into raw food, slow fashion, eco-friendly beauty, and all-natural skincare. I am a huge fan of language and study English Literature and Creative Writing. I have left footprints in Europe, North America, and the Caribbean. I have a million favourite quotes. I am a devoted Anglican. Finally, I believe love conquers all.