Wellness

Things To Do While You Are Self-Quarantining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

The Covid-19 pandemic has changed our lives completely in matter of weeks. Working and studying from home became reality for a lot of us. We have also been introduced to the idea of social distancing and self-quarantine to avoid the spread of the virus. While the idea of staying home 24/7 seems depressing for some — especially on the weekend — it does not have to be. We can use this time to learn more about ourselves, the world, and spend more time with our loved ones. The most important thing to remember is to stay connected with your family and friends, call or message them daily. Social distancing does not mean disconnecting.

Here are some suggestions of what you can do while self-quarantining.

1. Catch up on your favourite TV shows, movies, and documentaries.

Netflix symbol on TV with a hand holding a remote
Photo by freestocks.org on Unsplash
Do you have that list of shows and/or movies on Netflix that you have never been able to finish? Well, this is the best time to finally get to them. Watch the shows everyone has been telling you to watch or learn about the world by watching the documentaries that have always sounded so interesting to you. You can also discover new movies or movies that you grew up with that you have not watched in years. To make this even better, dedicate one day of the week to watch a movie with your loved ones. If you are living alone, Facetime them and watch the movie together. 

2. Learn how to cook or try cooking new recipes if you already know how to cook.

aesthetic layout of cooking supplies on a blue background
Photo by Icons8 Team on Unsplash

This is the most appropriate time to finally learn how to cook. There are tons of recipe videos on YouTube, and even Netflix that you can watch. It is also the perfect opportunity to finally use the cookbooks that you have laying around the house that you purchased or were gifted a long time ago but never used. You do not need to use all the fancy ingredients some of those recipes use; you can simply Google how you can substitute an ingredient with something you already have. Want to make this even more fun? Facetime your family or friends and cook together!

3. Start an online book club with your family and friends.

Hygge Header
Stella Rose on Unsplash
You can also join an online book club if your family and friends are not into reading. This is the time to read something fun and interesting whether it is a fiction or a non-fiction book. Tell your family and friends and have them vote on a book. Then purchase the book online through Amazon Kindle or Google Play Books. Not much of a reader? Try Amazon Audible and listen to a book instead. The first purchase is free!

4. Exercise.

Yoga
Kristine Mahan / Spoon
There are so many online apps that let you workout from home with no equipment. Dedicate some time in your day and workout for 15-20 minutes. This is not only good for your mental health during this time, but it is also good for your physical health, especially for strengthening your immune system. You can even tell your family and friends and workout together while video-calling. If you absolutely despise working out, then try moving around the house as much as you can. You can also take a stroll around your backyard – if you have one – and enjoy the fresh air; use this time to listen to your favourite music and relax your mind.

5. Redecorate your space.

Bright living room area with green plants
Timothy Buck
Staying home in the same space with the same décor can become boring and depressing sometimes, but it does not have to be. Move your furniture around. Google ways to make your living room or bedroom look spacious or cozier. We all have that one space in the house that it is basically abandoned and never looked after. Clean it and redecorate it. This does not have to be a huge change; just add small details that can light the space up and make it better.

6. Learn a new hobby!

craft table
Vladimir Proskurovskiy
Whether it is learning how to draw, learning a new language, or even doing something as simple as learning how to play chess, learning a new hobby is a great way to pass time. You can ask yourself what you are interested in and what you always wanted to learn. Pick a hobby that does not require a lot of materials and you can easily do it online.  

7. Rest and take a break.

Girl lying on bed with cat
Photo by Oleg Ivanov on Unsplash
In a world where we are constantly moving and stressing about the future, use this time to simply rest. We are always stressing about what we need to do next, even when we have nothing to do. But what about simply resting? Enjoying the day by doing simply nothing. It is good for your mental health and your physical health. Sleep in if you need to, take afternoon naps, long baths, or simply try relaxing exercises such as easy yoga or meditation.

I hope you try one of these suggestions and I hope it helps brighten your lovely day. We will eventually get through this pandemic together. We just need to find ways to cope with it and live a meaningful life while we are waiting for it to be over. We also need to act responsibly by staying home and thinking about others around us. We show our humanity when we think of others and try to help each other as much as we can while also caring for ourselves. Use this time as a way to connect and self-reflect.

Tichana Adam

UWindsor '20

Tichana is a student of Psychology at the university of Windsor. She loves reading and writing and wishes to publish her own book in the future. She also loves animals and advocates for a plant based lifestyle. She moved to Canada in 2010 and speaks 3 languages fluently, and is a lover of all things history.
Amy N

UWindsor '21

Amy is a University of Windsor alumni. She loves to read, write, dance, eat chocolate, and organize anything she can get her hands on. Being bilingual, she developed a love for languages at a very young age.