Taking Care of a Feathery Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

A lot of us have probably wanted to own a Macaw at some point in our life (If you’re afraid of birds, please disregard this article ;).), but if you’ve ever wondered if you  have what it takes to care for a parrot, please keep on reading.

1.    Time commitment:

Taking care of a parrot involves A LOT of time investment. This means you will often have to get up at 6am, because your bird starts screeching at nothing in particular, or you will have to set aside a couple of hours to interact with your bird. This can be quite daunting to a lot of newbies, especially since this is very time-consuming. If you have a busy schedule owning a bird just might not be for you, or you could always try and invest in another pet.

2.    Picky eaters:

A lot of parrots tend to be picky eaters. For instance, my bird, Pickle, is a VERY picky eater. He only eats sunflower seeds that are of a certain brand, along with his usual snacks. His snacks include toast, banana, cereal (Raisin Bran), rice, chocolate (but not too much), crackers, almonds, walnuts, and an assortment of fresh fruits. You have to be willing to cater to your bird’s needs, especially since parrots tend to be very picky. If you neglect your bird’s needs they may be very moody and ignore you.

3.    Accessories:

Parrots need TOYS. These allow them to explore, gain enrichment, and are important for them to engage with when you may not be around. Some toys can be pricy, for instance, a harness for the bird, so that it can accompany you outside (without flying away!):

https://www.amazon.ca/AVIATOR-Pet-Bird-Harness-Leash/dp/B000TEXPDG

While others can be more affordable, for instance, a swing:

https://www.petsmart.ca/bird/toys-perches-and-decor/toys/all-living-things-firework-bird-toy-43642.html?cgid=400123

In addition to these two accessories, parrots need a sturdy stand, as well as a cage. They will also need a smaller cage which the caretaker can use to carry them around in. Be willing to go broke in order to satisfy your bird’s needs!

4.    Parrot-proofing:

Parrots need to be cared for quite a lot. They tend to be adventurous and can knock over expensive vases, eat through the bread carton, or even scare away strangers. This means that you have to “parrot-proof” the house, as well as make sure our feathery friends can’t get into trouble or get injured. Then you may need to invest an avian vet who can tend to your parrot if they happen to fall sick.

This may seem daunting but you will adjust. I promise you within a couple of months you will master the above tasks. With the proper care, companionship, and love, these feathery creatures can be lifelong companions, with many living up to forty years – you’ll have a lifelong friend.

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.