Supporting Canadian Indigenous-Owned Businesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

During our current times, it is important to support small businesses and ensuring we understand how these products are made. Each one of these businesses produces 100% authentic items, which you’d love. Below are a few of my favourite Indigenous-owned small businesses right here in Canada. 

@ravenreads

Raven Reads is an indigenous-owned book subscription box, delivering seasonal boxes packed full of quality Indigenous content. You can choose from the seasonal, bi-annual, or annual subscription, and either an Adult or Child collection. The adult box includes a mix of Indigenous literature and beautiful giftware, whereas the child box includes 2-3 children’s books and items relating to the Indigenous themes of the box. Oh, and did I mention that shipping is free within Canada? What are you waiting for!

@cheekbonebeauty

Cheekbone Beauty is an Indigenous-owned beauty brand that creates high-quality and cruelty-free lip-wear and complexion products. For each order placed, 10% of the proceeds are donated to the Shannen’s Dream and the Caring Society, organizations striving to assist Indigenous People in education and safety. Their moisturizing and highly-pigmented colours are the perfect addition to any outfit to make you stand out. 

@shenativegoods

She Native Goods is a women-owned and operated Indigenous business out of Turtle Island in Toronto. This company was created to bring awareness to the systematic barriers and challenges that Indigenous women face every day, and hopes to install inner strength and confidence. Through their leather handbags and beautiful apparel, they share cultural teachings of positive values as passed down from their elders. As well, their products are made using sustainable materials, allowing the reduction of an environmental footprint and showing respect to the nature around us. 

@motherearthessentials

Mother Earth Essentials is a Canadian Indigenous-owned business specializing in luxury bath and beauty products from natural ingredients. Items include various essential oils, beautifully scented candles, soaps, and many other items. These scents are unique and based on the traditional teachings from the owner’s elders and medicine people, using plants found around them, while still respecting the environment.

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.