samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Student Guide to Fix Reader’s Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Reader’s block is a lot similar to writer’s block; it is the inability to read something no matter how hard you try to be motivated. For a university student, having reader’s block may be more detrimental to your studies than writer’s block. Especially if you have to read two chapters out of your textbook every week for every class. For students in the arts, humanities, and social sciences, a large part of your understanding of the class comes from the weekly required readings. When it comes time to write those papers and study for those exams, you better be sure you read all the coursework. Here are some tips to fix reader’s block.

1. Stop rereading the same sentence

When you’re reading something that just does not interest you, it’s hard to focus on reading when you would much rather be doing a hundred other things. Often if you’re reading text that bores you to no end you might end up regressing, which is rereading a sentence that you already read out of habit, which slows down the process of reading. This is similar to overthinking what you’re reading. To stop this, you might want to try and cover up each sentence that you already read because you thought you didn’t understand it, and move onto the next one.

2. Find something that will re-stimulate your interest in reading

Often what we read can be uninspiring and possibly above our reading comprehension level. Instead of trying unsuccessfully to read a book that you just can’t get into, try reading something that you know you will love and enjoy. and it won’t be too hard for your tired brain to wrap around. If you’re reading a textbook that you have to read for class, try to take a few breaks in between and read something that makes you relaxed and happy.

3. Put away time for you to read

Nothing makes you want to read less if you have no time to do so. We have all been there: we only leave ourselves 20 minutes before class to read a 40-page article. Sometimes this just is not doable. Make sure to give yourself enough time to read.

4. Try speed-reading

Sometimes we read slow out of habit and not because we can’t read faster.. If you actively try to read faster, you will be able to complete the reading that usually takes you a long time much more quickly, and you will feel more motivated to read. Try reading a little faster than your usual speed until you’re reading at a faster rate.

There are  two types of speed-reading you can try:

Skimming:only reading important bits of a text. Like everything else, it requires a bit of practice if you cannot do it.

Meta guiding: using the tip of your finger to trace what you’re reading so your eyes move faster to follow your finger.

5. Stop taking too many notes for your readings

This only slows you down. Jot down what is important and leave the rest of the text alone. If you’re reading the text properly, you will remember the most important bits anyway.

6. Change your reading style

There are three types of reading styles: mental reading, where you sound out each word in your head as you read; auditory reading, where you hear the words while you read; and visual reading, where you focus on understanding the meaning of the word rather than sounding or hearing. Mental reading is the slowest so if this is your reading style you might want to change it to a different, faster style like visual reading.

7. Turn off your phone, laptop or anything that distracts you

This is possibly the most important task you can complete to avoid reader’s block (and procrastination). You are less likely to read if you’re constantly surrounded by things that take your focus away.

Rachael is a fourth year double-major in English and History. She is both a writer and editor for Her Campus. She spends most of her time trying to multi-task but spends the majority of her day watching Netflix, reading, or hanging with friends.
Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.