Some of the Best Books (or Series) to Read in Your Spare Time

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Are you on the hunt for things to do in your spare time? If you’re anything like me, you crave relaxing afternoons where you kick off your cozy slippers and sink into the couch as you flip through the pages of an enthralling novel, the peak hours of the sunshine glistening on your fingertips. Well, what if I said I can help you make the most of those times with a few book recommendations I’ve compiled over the (very little) downtime I’ve had.

A Court of Thorns and Roses (2015) by Sarah J. Maas

Genre: Fantasy Fiction

Age group: Young Adult

Series: Yes (A Court of Thorns and Roses, A Court of Mist and Fury, A Court of Wings and Ruin, A Court of Frost and Starlight, A Court of Silver Flames)

My review: This book is Beauty and the Beast-esque and is written pretty well with a well-executed plot. This book really changes directions near the end and leaves you hungry for more and may even prompt a re-read wherein you lose track of time. If you find romance a little cliché, this may not be for you, but the author did a good job at balancing romance with the intriguing development of a whirlwind plot. I would give it a 4.5/5.

The link to purchase this series or the first book if you’re interested:

The Selection (2012) by Kiera Cass

Genre: Fantasy Fiction

Age group: Young Adult

Series: Yes (The Selection, The Elite, The One, The Heir, The Crown)

My review: I absolutely love this series. I was first introduced to it at a book fair in grade 7, and I’d be embarrassed to say how many times I’ve re-read it TO THIS DAY! This book is sort of like The Bachelor, except with a much more royal take and a caste system. Thirty-five girls are to fight for a crown to win over the Prince, but it’s not as simple as it looks; in fact, America Singer doesn’t even want the crown. With so many adventures, twists and turns within, the book seriously keeps you on your toes—there are even action scenes throughout! The sequels (no surprise) were even more interesting than the original. I would give it a 5/5.

Dark Roads (2021) by Chevy Stevens

Genre: Thriller, Mystery, Suspense, Fiction

Age group: Adult

Series: No

My review: Dark Roads is the latest pulse-pounding thriller set on an isolated, never-ending highway in the wilderness of British Columbia—one that has become a prime hunting ground for predators. This is a very well written thriller with an interesting world and great character building. This story will leave a mark on your soul; it’s heart-wrenching, will captivate you in all of your being, and probably convince you to never hitch-hike in your life—especially on a highway. Nearly half the story is narrated by the main character. Many of the tortured, missing, and murdered women are forgottenover the years, but when the serial killer is identified, it’s worth the wait. The author does an EXCELLENT job at building characters, in fact, you fantasize ways to torture some of them through the book! I would give it a 4/5.

The link to this book if you’re interested:

The Last Thing He Told Me (2021) by Laura Dave

Age group: Adult

Series: No

My review: This novel is a mystery/domestic suspense about a man, who is living through lies, as his wife and daughter struggle to discover who he really is. The chapters were short and to the point with no fillers, yet the author managed to bring life into the characters within such a short time span. I’d read some mixed reviews about this novel online before buying it, so I was a little skeptical, but I can vouch that I was hooked from the very beginning. The pacing of the book was on point with relatable characters, and although the forefront of the story was the missing husband, it was great to see the bond between the characters grow. I would give it a 4/5.

The link to purchase this book if you’re interested:

The Paper Palace (2021) by Miranda Cowley Heller

Genre: Romance Fiction

Age group: Adult

Series: No

My review: I honestly didn’t have many thoughts going into this book. This book… was a huge jumble of love stories, so very different from anything I’ve ever read before. The backstories of the characters are well thought-out, and although there can be very traditionally taboo scenes in this reading, they were very meaningful towards the construction of the novel. The ending, however, was rather abrupt. This book may not be for everyone, but regardless it is a good thought-invoker. I would give it a 3.5/5.

And that’s it! I hope you guys enjoyed this little book review and can add to your lists! Feel free to leave your feedback and reviews, or help us build our list on our social media or email us at hc.uwindsor@hercampus.com! 

Gauri Kumar

UWindsor '24

A dedicated, enthusiastic and driven Nursing Student at the University of Windsor with a passion for providing support and quality health care to our community. In her free time, she enjoys finding opportunities to support others, get involved, and take on challenges. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out!