yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Some of the Most Haunting Horror Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Some of the Most Haunting Horror Movies

1. The Insidious Series (Insidious, Insidious: Chapter 2, Insidious Chapter 3, Insidious: The Last Key):

Since my love for horror movies began, I have never found a series that was better executed than the Insidious movies. Not only does this series provide incredible storylines, but every movie gets better than the previous one. The series focuses around Elise Rainier, a parapsychologist who is able to contact the other side. In the first movie, Elise is called to help a young boy who inexplicably falls into a coma and becomes a vessel for ghosts. The second movie, Insidious: Chapter 2, focuses back on the parents of the young boy from the previous film, as they try to discover why their family is so connected to the spiritual world. The third film, Insidious: Chapter 3, is a prequel to the first two films. Finally, the fourth film, Insidious: The Last Key, focuses on the life of Elise Rainier, from adolescence to adulthood, and shows how she has always been connected to the spiritual world.

Image Source

1. The Conjuring: 

Ed and Lorraine Warren were real-life demonologists and paranormal investigators. Their real-life experiences influenced many movies, the Conjuring included. The movie focuses on the Perron family, who continuously experience paranormal activity in their home. They reach out to Ed and Lorraine, who attempt to help the family. 

Image Source

1. A Quiet Place

While this movie is more like a thriller, the storyline is incredibly captivating and scary. Written, directed, and starring John Krasinski, the story takes place in a post-apocalyptic world in which a family is struggling to survive when blind aliens with incredibly strong senses of hearing take over the planet. The family must try to survive in a world without making a sound.   

Image Source

1. Sinister

When true-crime writer Ellison Oswalt moved his family to a beautiful old home, they are excited with the idea of starting new. Little do they know that Oswalt moved them into a murder house in order to write a book about the family who was killed. Shortly after moving into the home, Oswalt discovers several video reels along with a projector. What he sees on the footage scares him so much he decides to move his family again, only to discover that leaving everything behind is not that easy.  

Image Source

1. The Perfection

This Netflix original movie is a new horror/thriller available exclusively on Netflix. Charlotte Willmore is an incredibly talented cellist who was forced to leave her prestigious music school in order to care for her very sick mother.  However, once her mother dies, Charlotte does not hesitate to contact her teacher and the head of the music school, Anton. She immediately becomes close to the school’s music prodigy, Elizabeth Wells. After she discovers that both her and Elizabeth have matching music note tattoos, she begins to unravel what really happens when the music school demands perfection. 

Image Source

1. The Nun

After a nun hangs herself in a Romanian monastery, the Vatican sends Father Burke and Sister Irene to the monastery in order to investigate. While looking around, the duo discover a very unholy secret that the monastery has been keeping for centuries. Demonic forces are kept locked in the monastery, with nuns taking shifts to keep it locked away. 

Image Source

1. The Prodigy

August 10th 2010, serial killer Edward Scarka was shot and killed outside of his home. On that exact same day, at the exact moment he was shot, Miles was born. From the very beginning, Miles was extremely advanced, being able to speak while still a baby. He was his parent’s pride and joy, until he attacks a student in his class with a wrench. His parents decide to send him to a psychologist, who starts to believe that maybe Miles isn’t the prodigy his parents always believed him to be. 

Image Source

1. Oculus

Haunted by the memories of their parent’s death, siblings Kaylie and Tim must work towards rebuilding their relationship as well as work towards dealing with the psychological trauma that it caused. Kaylie suspects that their antique mirror is behind the tragedy. The ordinary mirror inflicts the mind of those who gaze into it. As the siblings continuously try to get the truth, it gets harder to avoid falling into the mirror’s trap.

Image Source

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.