This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Similar to many people from my generation, I was basically raised by YouTube. While I’ve definitely outgrown some of my past favourite YouTubers, there’re some new ones that have caught my attention and I wanted to share them. I wanted to talk about YouTubers that were less well-known whom I enjoy a lot, so hopefully you’ll like them as well :)

Mina Le

Mina Le is a content creator centered around fashion. Particularly, she does a lot of fashion history and in general provides a lot of historical contexts to her videos. She also sometimes does current fashion and beauty commentary, and I love listening to her opinions. I like that she provides a lot of research (and she cites them!) for her videos, and that she goes quite in-depth for most of her videos. She provides judgements and perspectives on fashion in ways I never really thought about, like how good costume designs make a character more authentic. I also find that she’s quite respectful about voicing her opinions, and doesn’t bash anyone whose opinions don’t align with hers. Unless their perceptions are based on prejudice, but that gets a free pass in my opinion. Even then, she doesn’t insult them, which I respect. As a history buff and fashion enthusiast, her videos combine both of my interests well. Her videos are pretty lengthy, so I like watching them when I’m having a meal by myself or doing errands.

Recommended video: teeth as a fashion statement.

Watcher

If you were raised by Buzzfeed like most people from Generation Z, then you might recognise the founders of this YouTube Channel. Most notable for hosting the Buzzfeed Unsolved, True Crime, and Supernatural YouTube series, Shane and Ryan have since left to make their own company and YouTube channel, called Watcher. The third founder of Watcher is Steven, who was also a former employee of Buzzfeed and was one of the hosts for their popular series, Worth It. Since leaving Buzzfeed, all three of them are making independent content that is similar to what they were doing back then, but it is evident that they seem to enjoy it more now and have more creative freedom. The trio does occasionally come together in a few different series and they now do more than just supernatural and food videos. My favourite series from this channel is Puppet History, which is a somewhat interactive video about lesser-known historical events and figures.

Recommended video: The Bloody Revenge of Saint Olga of Kiev

Minsco 민스코 

Minsco is a Korean YouTuber based in South Korea, and her content typically revolves around beauty, fashion, and lifestyle. I prefer Asian makeup styles and products  compared to Western ones, because I think they just suit my skin tone and preferences better. She does a lot of Get Ready With Me (GRWM) videos, which are the ones I like to watch most as she always explores different makeup concepts. Her makeup style is both versatile and consistent, and it perfectly aligns with my own style. She has a bubbly personality which makes it enjoyable for me to watch her content, and the subtitles in her videos are usually released a day or so after the video. Another part I like about her channel is that she does a lot of tutorials, which were really helpful for me when I first started makeup.

Recommended video: Autumn mute? With Etude Autumn Closet Review

leena norms

Leena is based in the United Kingdom, and does a whole variety of content. While she can be characterized as a BookTuber (a Youtuber who primarily discusses books and fictional characters in their content), she also does commentary and opinionated videos and has made several politically and socially relevant media content. In these videos, she is unafraid to speak her mind about sensitive topics and really unpacks why she thinks the way she does. She has talked about environmentalism, politics, personal development, mental health, and so on. Leena has also done a couple of advice videos, which was how I discovered her. In particular, she has a fashion styling advice video that taught me  how to wear what I want and like while simultaneously being more aware of consumerism. As for her book content, she does often put creative spins to the typical book review and recommendation, such as recommending books to fictional characters. If you’re a fan of these topics, Leena is someone you might be interested in watching.

Recommended video: Lies about clothes to unlearn in your twenties.

유이레 One and Only

Over the past year or so, I’ve taken an interest in fashion and upgrading my own tastes. I’ve since learned about “your personal color” and “discovering your season colors”, both of which depend on a few characteristics, one being your skin undertone. Personal color is primarily about what colors suit you best, but it goes beyond that. It is sectioned off into four seasons: fall, spring, summer, and winter. These seasons are also often separated into different categories, and different sources have different names for these sections. This channel thoroughly explains the concept of personal colour, and has a pretty unique categorization of seasons. One and Only has really helped me  learn about what colours theoretically suit me best, and it has guided me into buying clothing more consciously. The downside is that not all of her videos have English subtitles, and it might take a while for some videos to be updated with subtitles. Other than that, this channel might be up your alley if you’re looking to refine your personal style.

Recommended video: 퍼스널컬러 걸치는 타입이 생기는 이유ㅣ16타입 이론 1부ㅣUIREH유이레 (personal color)

Smokey Glow

Smokey Glow is a beauty and commentary channel, but is more known for her commentary videos. Like I mentioned, I’m not a big fan of Western makeup and brands, but her personality is so friendly that I end up watching them anyways. Her commentary videos usually revolve around the YouTube community as well, so if you’re into YouTube and other content creator drama, this channel might be something you’d enjoy. I’m not usually into commentary and drama channels, but for some reason I like the ones Hannah uploads. Her beauty videos are also mostly Western makeup, but I somehow still enjoy watching them. I find her really entertaining and she has a likable personality. Another aspect I like most about her is that she is socially conscious, not afraid to speak her mind, and is quite transparent with her audience.

Recommended video: Evolution of James Charles…

Daphne Chen

UWindsor '23

Daphne is majoring in International Relations and Development Studies with an Economics minor in UWindsor. Her hobbies include painting, reading, writing, and learning about niche topics among other things. She hopes to one day be able to make a small difference in this world, but she doesn’t know when, what, and how.