Simples Ways to Spread Random Acts of Kindness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Random Acts of Kindness, or RAK, is a selfless act that is performed by one person to either help or cheer up a stranger, for no apparent reason other than to make the other person happier. The official RAK Day is right around the corner on February 17th, here are some simple ways in which YOU can spread kindness to those around you.

1.     Tweet/message/text a genuine compliment to 3 people right now. You don’t know what their day has been like, and by sending a compliment to them, you may have just made their day a whole lot better.

2.     If you walk by a car on the way to class and notice that their meter is expired or is going to expire, put a quarter in it. Everyone understands that having to run from class to put money in the meter is not the best situation, so help a person out and save them the parking ticket.

3.     Smile at someone you see on the street, just because. One smile can make a difference to a person’s day, even their whole week.

4.     Allow someone into your lane. They’re probably in a rush just like you. You don’t know where they are going, but be the person that allows them to get there a bit earlier than what they were expecting.

5.     Be the person who puts a tip in the tip jar at the café you frequent (less people tip than you’d think!)

6.     Loan someone a book that you think they would like. By doing this, your friend knows that you have selected a book that you enjoyed and you hope that they will enjoy it just as much as they did.

7.     Cover mirrors in the restrooms with sticky notes that have positive messages and quotes on them. Everyone faces self-doubt at some point in their life, and little helpful reminders or kind words can brighten up a person’s day.

8.     Give up your seat to someone, anyone, on the bus.

9.     Do the dishes, even if it is your roommate’s turn.

10.  When you hear a discouraging voice in your head saying you can’t do something, push it away – you deserve kindness too!

Interested in learning more about Project Random Acts of Kindness and becoming a Raktivist (person who spreads RAK)? Be sure to check out their website https://www.randomactsofkindness.org to read more about it! Have fun and be the change you wish to see in the world.

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.
Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.