Show You Care on Remembrance Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Remembrance Day is a serious holiday. If you were born in Canada, you probably remember presentations that were put on in your elementary school gym every November 11th. They taught us what Remembrance Day is all about; it’s about how men and women bravely fought for the freedoms we have in Canada today.

We know we are supposed to honour our veterans and troops, but don’t always know how to do so. Here are a few ideas for you to think about for the upcoming holiday:

The simplest thing you can do is give a donation for a poppy. Make sure to proudly wear it over your heart – anywhere else is disrespectful.

You can contact your local branch of the Royal Canadian Legion to volunteer. Volunteers usually hand out poppies and collect donations or assist in organizing and working on Remembrance Day ceremonies.

Another option is to attend a ceremony in your area and/or take part in the Moment of Silence. Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island can tell you about local ceremonies. If you are unable to attend, most workplaces have a moment of silence at 11 a.m.

Even for busy students, these acts of remembrance don’t require serious commitment. Please make sure to take time to show that you care this Remembrance Day.

I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus UWindsor. I am enrolled in English & Creative Writing and Visual Arts. Art, music, and writing are my obsessions! But my heart also belongs to books and big dogs.