tolu bamwo nappy ?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tolu bamwo nappy ?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Nappy

Reasons to Start the Christmas Season Early

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

I’m actually not much of a Christmas person. My parents, after all, came from a different society and a different time when Christmas wasn’t really a big thing, and I grew up with that same kind of attitude. Watching my peers over the years rave about the Christmas aesthetic, Christmas songs, Christmas treats, and Christmas whatever-else, I slowly found myself getting more and more Christmas-y each year. While I still put up my tree only one week before the date and only have one pair of Christmas pajamas, I realized that Christmas can strangely put you in a jolly good mood. It might be a little overdone for some, and might even irritate others, but there are some notable benefits to starting the Christmas season off early. 

1. It’s so much easier to buy gifts

If you start this season off early, you have plenty of time to plan and purchase anything and everything you need without worrying about limited stock, inflated prices, and horrible cattle-like crowds. It’s no secret that shops go nuts around this time. They don’t only increase their prices to capitalize on all that Christmas generosity, but they’re also overrun by shoppers. Take it from an ex-retail worker—you do not want to be anywhere near a store during Christmas unless you secretly want to be trampled. And if you’re shopping online, you can beat the inevitable Christmas shipping delays if you order early. Besides that, it’s easier to spread the bills throughout the year, and easier to take advantage of some sales. Who doesn’t want to be gift-stress-free? 

2. Decorating your house can actually improve your mood

Many studies have proven that your surroundings play an unexpectedly big part in your mood. A lot of these studies tend to advise on keeping your room clean, organized, and clutter-free, but decorating it for the holidays is helpful too. “How?” you may wonder. Well, for starters, think about the bright lights! Winter in general tends to be a little dreary and dark (though this may depend on where you live) so a little bit of colour and Christmas lights can really perk things up. Besides that, Christmas in general has  positive connotations relating back to ideas of kindness, generosity, family, and joy. So symbols associated with Christmas throughout your home (like a tree, some wreaths, some ceramic snowmen) evoke those positive connotations and inspire dopamine. 

3. It’s an excuse to get out and see people

The holidays usually bring with it tons of events—from light shows, to Christmas concerts, to cult classic movie showings. There’s always something to do! It’s a perfect time to go out and try something new—to be a little optimistic and adventurous. Besides that, it provides a million excuses to meet up with friends. We all know what it feels like to be overwhelmed by the non-stop fast pace of life, to lose touch with friends and even family, so when faced with the holidays which are best known for bringing together friends and family, take the opportunity to invite some people out to dinner, to a lights show, to a skating rink, and wherever else you like. Rekindle the bonds that you might have neglected throughout the year. 

While the holidays can inspire a lot of joy, they can also be an especially sad time for some. There are many reasons regarding why this is. Everyone’s situation is different, and so their solutions and helpful strategies may be different, but if you find yourself in this situation, be sure to try getting into the holiday spirit. It may seem cheesy and cliche, but it can help. Surround yourself with good people—spend time with them as well as with yourself; make your life colourful and full of Christmas lights. It may not be a sure thing, but it sure is worth a shot. 

Anna Karch

UWindsor '20

Anna Karch studies English, French, and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor. In her spare time, Anna enjoys playing piano, journaling, and spending time with friends. As an avid reader and writer, she hopes to continue writing in the future.