heart with pride
heart with pride
Original Illustration by Her Campus Media

Reading More Diversely: My Favourite LGBTQ+ Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Many often say that we should be able to see ourselves reflected in what we encounter, so why does that not include what we read? As a personal goal since the start of 2020, I vowed to read more diverse literature and have continuously found new books that have become my favourites. With that said, I’ve decided to share some of my top LGBTQ+ reads that I believe everyone should read at some point. 

1. Red, White, & Royal Blue

Representation: Gay and Bi Main Characters, M/M Relationship 

Red, White, & Royal Blue is one of the most talked about LGBTQ+ books in the past couple of years, and for good reason. This New Adult book follows the son of the First Female President and his on-again-off-again, love/hate relationship with the Prince of England. Sounds amazing, right? Now throw in the wonderful support groups of their friends and families, and this is a feel-good book that will have you crying both happy and sad tears. 

2. Cemetery Boys

Representation: Trans Main Character, M/M Relationship

While this book only came out back in October, the amount of feelings this book made me feel still gives me the chills. This Young Adult novel follows Yadriel, a Trans male still trying to be accepted into his conservative Latinx family. When Yadriel summons a ghost to prove his true gender, the spirit of the resident bad boy appears, left with unanswered questions. This book is beautifully written and not only are the characters absolutely wonderful, but I learned a bunch about the Latinx culture with its detailed descriptions.

3. Cinderella is Dead

Representation: Lesbian Main Character, F/F Relationship

A modern Cinderella with a twist? What more could you want! Cinderella is Dead is about how all the girls in the kingdom are destined to follow in the footsteps of Cinderella herself: attend a ball and find a prince. But what happens when a direct descendant of Cinderella refuses? And joins with a girl who, instead of finding a prince, wants her happily ever after with her best female friend? Read as these girls tackle everything society has told them is the proper way to live and start to re-write the rules.

4. The Henna Wars

Representation: Lesbian, F/F Relationship

This was by far one of the cutest reads that I’ve had in a long time. The Henna Wars follows two girls running rival henna businesses, but when one starts to fall for the other, will their rivalry stand in the way? Not only does this have the cutest budding romance, but also raises questions of being true to who you are regardless of your family’s beliefs. 

Now, if you’re looking for even more diverse literature, a blogger friend of mine has compiled this extensive list for these amazing LGBTQ+ reads. 

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.