This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Although having to take a sick day is never enjoyable, it’s the perfect time to curl up with a blanket and finish a book in one sitting. The following books are easy to start if you’re just getting into reading, are in a reading slump, or need a book that won’t take you two months to finish. Without further ado, here is a list of ten books you may want to pick up the next time you’re feeling under the weather:

1. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

An underrated book that will put you in your feels is A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. Ness’ unique writing style and storytelling abilities along with Siobhan Dowd’s impeccable illustrations make this a novel that is difficult to forget. This book tells the story of a young boy named Conor who is struggling to cope with his mother’s cancer diagnosis. There are some dark themes covered in this novel, but it is also beautifully written and deeply moving. This is a raw, authentic, and touching story, and it’s a book that I think everyone should read at least once in their lifetime. 

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

This wouldn’t be a true book recommendation article if I didn’t recommend a contemporary classic such as The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. This book tackles many themes from abuse to trauma to relationships, to intimacy, and it is one that every young adult should read at least once. This is another quick read that will be difficult to put down once you start it. There is also a movie adaptation that is worth watching after you read the book. 

1. Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi

Before the Coffee Gets Cold is a collection of short stories focused on different characters who have decided to travel back in time for a plethora of reasons. I found it to be a unique read, and the characters’ development throughout the novel was very well done. This book will keep you hooked from the very beginning as you navigate the atypical café and how the purpose of time shapes our lives. 

1. Normal People by Sally Rooney

If you’re on the “booktok” side of Tiktok, then you’ve probably heard of Normal People by Sally Rooney. Without giving too much away, this best-seller follows the lives of Connell and Marianne, two characters from a small Irish town, as they navigate their friendship and relationship over several years. The relationship dynamics covered in this novel made it an interesting and enjoyable read, perfect for picking up on a sick day. Sally Rooney’s writing style is simple yet elegant, and I’d recommend this book to anyone looking for a compelling and diverse story.

1. The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

Sandra Cisneros’ novel The House on Mango Street is a coming-of-age story following a young girl growing up in the Hispanic quarter of Chicago. Cisnero effortlessly encapsulates Esperanza Cordero’s experiences, dreams, and livelihood on Mango Street, where she lives. This book is only 144 pages, making it an easy read you can finish in one sitting. Another thing I enjoyed about this novel was the fact that each of the stories that took place in it were interconnected with the others, and each provided an authentic insight into Esperenza’s culture and perspectives.

1. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Tuesdays with Morrie is a fan-favourite that beautifully portrays the importance of human connection and gratitude for every aspect of your life. Written by Mitch Albom, this memoir captures a series of visits to his old professor (Morrie) who had been diagnosed with ALS. This is a book you can read in a few hours if you really commit to it. It captures so many emotions, and the wisdom and passion for life Morrie shares even in his last days is immeasurable. 

1. I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy

Jennette McCurdy’s captivating memoir will take you on an emotional rollercoaster as she depicts both what it was like to grow up as a child actor and the abuse she was put through at the hands of her mother. If you’re someone that would rather listen to a book rather than read it, McCurdy is also the narrator of the audiobook version, and you can listen to her tell her own story from start to finish.

1. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath is a gripping semi-autobiographical novel that revolves around her struggles with mental illness as a young adult in the 1950s. Despite it originally being published in 1963, it remains a timeless must-read; it resurfaces time and time again as new readers continue to discover her work. This novel is equally haunting and witty, and it will keep you consumed right from the very first page.

1. Atomic Habits by James Clear

If you’re in your “best version of myself” era, then this is the book for you. Atomic Habits is one of the most highly rated self-help books of all time, and for good reason. This book accurately provides you with all the fundamentals necessary to truly make a change in almost every aspect of your life. I found this to be an honest and highly researched novel, and it kept me motivated the entire time I was reading it. For people that are skeptical of self-help books or unsure if they are worth your time and money, I assure you that this one is worth every penny. Habit formation is essential for growing as a person and in life, and this book teaches you everything you need to know about making small changes in your everyday life that will eventually lead to remarkable growth down the road.

1. Happy Place by Emily Henry

Emily Henry has quickly become one of my favourite authors of all time. Although her books are more lengthy than a few of the others in this list, you will not be able to put her books down. Happy Place is a feel-good, lighthearted book about a group of friends and their cottage in Maine. It’s filled with characters that are easy to resonate with, and you’ll find yourself continually looking forward to reading the next chapter as the plot progresses. If you’re someone that enjoys novels with complex friendships and relationships, then this is the one for you!

Julia Rubino

UWindsor '26

Julia is a Biomedical Sciences major at the University of Windsor in Ontario, Canada. She is a writer for HerCampus UWindsor, and loves to be involved in different clubs around campus. When she is not studying, she enjoys reading, writing, listening to music or podcasts and going to the gym.