Profile: Residence Life Coordinator Joyceln Lorito

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

The University of Windsor has four residences that provide on-campus living solutions for incoming and returning students. While our RAs are excellent, helpful people, they can’t run the buildings by themselves.

That is where our Residence Life Coordinators (RLCs) come in. This week’s profile is an interview with one of the RLCs, Joyceln Lorito, RLC of Alumni and Macdonald Halls.

Joyceln Lorito:

Q: Let’s start with something more substantial. How would you describe your job?

A: I would describe my job as a manager of students leaders who promote the student experience in Residence at our University. At the same time, I work to create an environment that promotes challenges and successes through coaching conversations with both students and student staff in order to help them become successful global citizenship.

Q: In light of your answer then, how would you define global citizenship?

A: My definition of global citizenship is that we foster an environment where students can grow and learn, both academic skills, and the skills necessary to be a responsible young adult who is able to contribute to global society in a meaningful way.

Q: Sounds about right. On to some more questions about you. How long have you been at this job?

A: It will be 4 years on May 5th.

Q: And what is your work and education background prior to working for University of Windsor Res Services?

A: I went to Laurier for my undergrad and graduated with both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Education. I then went to Niagara College and got a postgrad certificate in both Teaching English as a Second Language and Special Needs Support (As an Educational Assistant). I then worked at Seneca College in Toronto as an RLC there for around 4 years before coming to Windsor.

Q: Well, if you’ve been doing this job (at different universities) for seven and a half years now, what is your favourite part of it?

A: I would say watching my student staff grow up and be happy, and seeing them know that they can come back to me at any time for whatever help I can give them. It’s the process of creating a family among the staff and students in residence, really.

Q: And is there anything that you would change about the role, or about residence?

A: I would like to create more concrete processes for students to get involved. I’d also like to create a better way to communicate with the residence students on a mass level that doesn’t involve social media. While it is effective, I find that students are often too caught up in the rest of the social media experience, and so miss out on some of the great opportunities we offer. I would also like to see all first year residence buildings be changed into dry buildings.

Q: Okay, last question. If you could say three things to all incoming residence students, what would they be? A:

1. That post secondary is more than academics. It is about finding yourself and creating your own experience as a student.

2. To try something that they’ve never tried before and to not be afraid to fail at it. Failure creates out of the box thinking that can bring a new outlook on, and interest in, your experiences.

3. I would tell everyone to live in Residence for at least one year. It is a place where you get pulled into campus life, learn the culture of the school, and a place where you meet lifelong friends. And I know that for a fact, because as a thirty two year old I still speak to my first year roommates, as for eight months they were they were my support system, and helped me become the person who I wanted to be.

I'm a huge nerd. Born and raised in Toronto, I now attend the University of Windsor for my degree in English Literature and Creative Writing. If you want to chat about nerd culture (in any form really), or ask me questions about my articles, writing, or hobbies feel free to shoot me an email.