This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

International Women’s Day is upon us (arguably the best day of the year). This year on March 8th, I decided to showcase some of the women in STEM-related fields, at UWindsor. These gals talk about their experiences, struggles, and reflect on being a women in STEM. Here are three powerful STEM majors who continue to inspire me, and who I can proudly call my closest friends:

1)    Isabelle Hinch
“Science, for me, gives a partial explanation for life. In so far as it goes, it is based on fact, experience, and experiment. “

Rosalind Franklin, chemist, molecular biologist, and one of the pioneers in identifying the structure of human DNA

“I remember in high school having lunch-time practices for the Science Olympics (an event hosted by the near by University for high school students). On our first meeting, the female teacher mind you, asked the group to present ourselves and our future aspirations. Hopeful answers of engineers and doctors were common, and the ambition was praised, yet when I told my teacher I wanted to be an OB/GYN she paused and asked: “But don’t you want to have kids?” As a sixteen-years-old, I was left speechless. I’d never even thought about that. My dream was the only one she questioned. I answered that I’d figure it out and, in all honesty, five years later, I’m still not sure how I’ll make things work out.

“A lot of things have changed since then. I am currently a third-year student in Interdisciplinary Arts and Science working towards a double major in Greek and Roman Studies and Biology with thesis, and I no longer want to be a medical doctor. At the beginning of my University career, I was one of those medical school obsessed students, and I hated it. The idea that the only thing I could do to pursue my love of science and be successful in life was to pursue medicine was imprinted on me early by societal perception, family pressure, and a desire to prove myself as a girl worthy of studying the sciences. Ever since I realized the “issues” of being a woman in science at sixteen, self-doubt and fear of failure haunted me. To the point that I’d forgotten why I even loved biology in the first place.

“That was until my second semester when my professor described how she became a researcher amidst the med school hype and pressures.  And something in me clicked: if she could do it, why couldn’t I? After thinking about it, I realized research was right up my alley. Research reignited my passion with biology and reminded me of why I wanted to study it in the first place: the mystery, the questioning, the wonder and the discovery.

“Sure, things aren’t perfect now: my parents still want me to write the MCAT “just in case I change my mind.” There are still condescending people questioning my every move, but it’s getting easier to tune them out. I still doubt myself from time to time, and that fear still creeps in now and then. But, most importantly: I am excited. I am excited of what is to come.  I might still be unsure of how things will work-out, but I am determined to see this through. I am going to be a scientist.”

2)    Benita Rangira  
“Certain people – men, of course – discouraged me, saying [science] was not a good career for women. That pushed me even more to persevere.”

Francoise Barre, virologist who women the 2008 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine

Benita is a student in Interdisciplinary Arts and Science with a major in Biology and a minor in French. She is in her third year. She chose to go into science due to her passion to search for answers. She is keen on searching for answers and learning about new discoveries. She is also driven to help others, as well as contribute to the greater good in society.  

A struggle she experiences, and one that is common in science, is the stereotypes that girls are not good enough to be in a math or science-related field. Benita is aware of the notion that STEM fields are for boys. She believes that this gender bias still continues to affect women like her who are in STEM-related fields.

Benita hopes to work for international organizations such as the United Nations. She believes that her science degree at the University of Windsor will help her attain her goals. This is made possible due to the background knowledge she has gained both in classroom settings, as well as other activities on and off campus. This will help her pursue a Masters degree, particularly in Public Health.

3)    Omayma Al-Jabiry
“Let us choose for ourselves our path in life, and let us try to stew that path with flowers.” 

Emilie du Chatelet, mathematician, physicist, and author

“I am a third-year student in biological sciences.  I chose to go into the field of science because to me it is one of the few majors that is changing constantly. To me, science is not set in stone; there are new discoveries every day which lead to new theories and that alone plays a great factor in my interest in science. I chose biology specifically because, if anything, I am most interested in the human body and how it functions. I love learning about the relatedness of each course I take to the field of medicine, and science is the correct place to do that.

“As a woman in science, I have faced some struggles. I find it difficult when I refer to a GA or TA for a certain procedure or assignment, and they are not willing to cooperate. This might happen in all degrees, but for me, science is where I faced these misunderstandings. This does tend to limit my overall productivity because dealing with students (who are usually my own age) who are a figure of “authority” is difficult when they don’t cooperate with other students and are not willing to help when it is their job to do so. Another difficulty or struggle that I have faced as a woman in science (or anyone in science for this matter) is the lack of study spaces. I find that there aren’t any study spaces specific to science students. Sure, there’s the library, the new research building has a couple of places to sit, and the science lounge (which isn’t ideal for studying). However, there should be a designated spot for science students.”

“Finally, in the future, I hope to attain a medical degree. As I mentioned earlier, my greatest interest is learning about the human body. Ever since I was eight years old I have wanted to become a doctor. Pursuing a science degree has helped me in that because the material learned in a science major is the most relevant to that of a medical degree. A degree in science has helped me meet new people and interact with others who have taken the same path that I aspire to take.  I know I still have a lot to learn, but hopefully, I can hang on for this long and bumpy ride!”

These excerpts from three brilliant scientists in the making illustrate an insider’s perspective on some of the struggles that women face in Science. By addressing these issues, highlighting our success as women in STEM, and uplifting one another we can do the impossible. This Women’s Day celebrate a woman you know in STEM. Celebrate their success and continue to uplift them – together we’re indivisible.  

Quotes taken from: 

https://interestingengineering.com/25-quotes-from-powerful-women-in-stem…

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.