penelope bridgerton?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
penelope bridgerton?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
LIAM DANIEL/NETFLIX

Period Piece TV Shows to Fill The Bridgerton-Shaped Hole in Your Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Netflix released season 2 of their hit show, Bridgerton, in March of 2022. With season 3 set to release its first part on May 16th, fans of the show are (not so) patiently waiting for the return of their beloved show. 

If you find yourself in this category, I have good news! As a fellow period piece lover, I’ve found 3 amazing shows, filled with drama, for you to sink your teeth into while you wait!

1. The Musketeers (BBC)

Based on the classic novel, this show follows d’Artagnan and the Three musketeers on their adventures. Filled with action, humour, and forbidden romance, this show is perfect for those looking for some more action in the meantime.

The Musketeers is Available on Apple TV+ and YouTube for an additional cost.

2. Dickinson

This Apple TV+ original follows the life of famed poet Emily Dickinson, with a focus on her adolescence. This dark comedy blends drama and scandals with modern slang, and is honestly perfect for anyone to enjoy!

Hailee Steinfeld makes the perfect Emily, and the show’s impeccable comedic timing is perfect for anyone who needs a bit of a break, with the episodes only being around 30 minutes long.

Three seasons of Dickinson are available to watch on Apple TV+

3. The Buccaneers

Following the lives of four newly-rich American girls who travel to London to find husbands, The Buccaneers is the perfect celebration of girlhood and female friendships.  

With drama, betrayal, and lust around every corner, this show is sure to satisfy any Bridgerton-lovers. 

Season one of The Buccaneers is available to watch on Apple TV+

Jaime Nemett

UWindsor '24

Jaime is an undergrad student in Forensics Science with a concentration in Biology at UWindsor. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, music, drawing, and rewatching her favourite TV shows and movies.