Once Upon A Nightmare: A Wicked Fairy Tale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Do you remember your favourite Disney movies? The classic fairy tales? The stories of a princess running off into the sunset with her prince, fairy godmothers, kings, queens, and talking animal friends? These are all the stories that we  dreamt of as kids and maybe even dream of as adults. We crave the magic, the romance, and the furry friends. But if I were to reveal to you the true origins of these lovely fairy tales, would you still hold on to these dreams? In another article, I compiled a list of the morbid origins behind classic nursery rhymes. This time, I’m here to further ruin your childhood by listing the truth behind your favourite tales. Enjoy! Or at least, try to. 

1.     Cinderella

Bibbidi bobbidi boo, do I have a story to tell you! We all know the story of Cinderella – a kind, beautiful girl forced into hard labour and abuse by her evil stepmother and jealous stepsisters meets her sweet fairy godmother who makes her a lovely dress to attend the royal ball. While she’s there, she meets the love of her life, Prince Charming, who looks everywhere for her after she loses her glass slipper. When he finally finds her, they marry and live happily ever after. The end, right? Wrong! The Brothers Grimm, who compiled several fairy tales, reveal a different story. In Disney’s animated version – the one we’re all familiar with – Cinderella’s father tragically died, leaving her in the care of her stepmother. In the Brothers Grimm version, Cinderella’s father is alive but chooses to ignore the abuse she endures. Her real name is Ella but her stepsisters nickname her “Cinderella” because she is always covered in dust and cinders. There is no fairy godmother but some magic tree that she planted by her mother’s grave. Her slippers are made of gold in this version instead of glass. When the prince searches for the foot that fits the slipper, one of Cinderella’s stepsisters cuts off her own toes and heels in order to fit her foot into the slipper! Talk about desperate! Suffice it to say, they noticed the blood and moved on. When Cinderella and the prince get married, her stepsisters’ eyes are plucked out by Cinderella’s bird friends. So lovely, right? 

2.     Snow White 

The first Disney film to be created was Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. The story we’re familiar with is about a young and pretty girl whose life is at stake when the evil queen wishes her dead so she can become the fairest of them all. Snow White travels to a house, where the seven dwarves reside, and they take her in. When she is home alone, the evil queen disguised as an old woman gives her a poisoned apple. Upon eating it, Snow White tragically dies. During her funeral, the handsome prince arrives, kisses her, and wakes her up. Then they ride off into the sunset together on his horse, happy and in love. Well, in the Brothers Grimm version, the evil queen tries to kill Snow White several times. First, the queen gives Snow White a bodice, and upon tightening it around Snow White, she faints. However, she wakes up. So, the queen then combs her hair with a poisoned comb. The poison causes Snow White to collapse but the dwarves arrive in time to remove the comb and revive her. Finally, the queen gives her the poison apple. This time, Snow White is believed to be dead. During her funeral, after the prince finds out what happened to her, he takes her to a resting place in her father’s castle. On the journey, one of the prince’s guards trips, causing the apple to dislodge from Snow White’s throat and ultimately causing her to wake up. During the wedding, the queen is forced to dance on hot iron shoes until she drops dead as punishment. Big yikes! Pretty brutal, right?

3.     Rapunzel

Disney’s Tangled tells a beautiful story. A girl named Rapunzel with the longest blonde hair in the world is taken from her parents as a baby by Mother Gothel who constantly uses her magic hair to keep herself young. Rapunzel meets Flynn Ryder who takes her to see the floating lanterns on her birthday in the royal kingdom. She finds out where she really comes from, saves herself and Flynn from Gothel, and runs back to her family. Then, she marries Flynn. Now, the story from the Brothers Grimm… is not at all like that! The story begins with a couple who are expecting a baby. The wife craves a special type of lettuce, a lettuce called “rapunzel,” and her hunger starts to take a toll on her. Her husband steals some of the special lettuce. The wife happily eats it and craves more. When the husband leaves to steal more, he is caught by a witch. She decides to show him mercy, but in exchange, he and his wife have to give up their baby once it’s born. The baby is born and the witch takes her and names her Rapunzel, after the special lettuce. Rapunzel’s hair grows to become very long, golden, and beautiful as she grows up. One day, a prince rides by and hears her singing in her tower. He’s brought up to the tower by climbing her hair and “spends time with her,” if you catch my drift. Afterwards, Rapunzel accidentally reveals that the prince had visited her to the witch who cuts Rapunzel’s hair in anger and leaves her out in the forest. The prince, who sees the witch instead of Rapunzel upon his next visit, jumps from the tower and falls into a thornbush.  The thorns scratch his eyes and blind him. Ouch! Years later, he and Rapunzel reunite with their two children (a result of their “spending time together”). Well, at least it has a happy ending! 

Have I crushed your hopes and dreams? Is your past self screaming right now? Mine certainly did when I read these tales! In case you were wondering, yes, there are several more of these morbid stories, not even just by the Brothers Grimm. And they all lived happily ever after… or so you thought. 

Source:

The Complete Grimm’s Fairy Tales. Chartwell Books. Illustrated by Arthur Rackham.

Nawal Jasey is the Writing Director at the Her Campus UWindsor Chapter. She is responsible for scheduling writers for article postings as well as writing articles herself. Prior to this, she was part of the writing team as a simple writer. Her content normally depicts entertainment, life experiences, and personal cultural and/or religious topics. Nawal attends the University of Windsor as a senior undergraduate under the English program, where she mainly studies different branches of English literature including Victorian, Renaissance, Restoration, and more. Furthermore, she studies creative writing to pursue her dream of becoming an author. She attends several reading events hosted by different authors to help inspire her creative writing. She has independently published a fiction fantasy novel and continues to write more stories for the future. In her free time, Nawal loves to read and write fiction and epic fantasy novels. She would rather shop for books than for clothes any day. She is an anime and manga lover and considers herself a massive and proud nerd. She enjoys baking and playing the piano (not at all professionally) while cuddling her adorable kitty named Sabo.