This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

If you have been part of the online writing/book lovers community for a while now, you have probably heard about NaNoWriMo, or stumbled upon someone speaking about it. It is very popular on Twitter, with multiple accounts dedicated to word sprints and other various motivating activities to push participants to meet their goal.

But, what is it?

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. It is a worldwide writing event for the month of November. On November 1, participants are challenged to write 50,000 words by November 30; That means writers must write approximately 1,667 words per day. There is no set genre to which you can write about, and you can even surpass the word count. If you reach the 50,00 goal count, you are deemed a “winner” of NaNoWriMo.

While many writers tend to take comfort in writing in their own homes, there are regional write-in events that you can also participate in. Here in Windsor, there is one, and they tend to meet in Leddy Library on Thursdays from 6-9pm.

If you want to connect with other writers from the comfort of your own home, make sure to check out Twitter. Searching NaNoWriMo in the search bar brings up a variety of options. If you follow the official NaNoWriMo twitter account, you can ask for advice, and even follow along with their word sprints (planned amounts of time in which you write with no distractions).

Interested in joining?

It is super easy to sign up and start writing your novel. Here are some easy steps to get yourself all set for November:

#1: CREATE YOUR NANOWRIMO ACCOUNT.  

First things first, you’ll want to register as an official participant by creating your account on the NaNoWriMo website. You can then fill out your profile, check out the FAQs, and begin making writing buddies on the website’s forums.

#2: ANNOUNCE YOUR NOVEL PROJECT.

To officially participate, you’ll want to “announce” your novel on your profile, adding its title, genre, and synopsis. Only your writing buddies will be able to see this information.

#3: ON NOVEMBER 1ST, GET TO WRITING.

When November hits, it’s time for you to write. As November progresses, you can update your word count, gain participation badges, and track your progress on the NaNoWriMo website as you grow closer to winning the event.

For more details, check out the “How it Works” page on the NaNoWriMo website.

#4: COMPLETE 50,000 WORDS IN A MONTH TO “WIN”.

Once you’ve written 50,000 words, make sure to validate them on the website to become an official winner and claim your prizes.

There’s no limit to the number of writers who can win. Finish the 50k goal by the end of November to earn your cool prizes!

My Experience

While I have tried to “win” NaNoWriMo before, I have never been able to accomplish it fully (due to school). Every year I input the same book and slowly start adding more words to it. I am hoping that this year I will be able to finish and finally be a “winner” of NaNoWriMo. With that being said, I am friends with quite a few people who have completed NaNoWriMo and have successfully had their books published. It is never to early to start reaching your goals!

Will you be joining NaNoWriMo this year?

Even though we are a few days into the month, it is never too late to join in on the fun!

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.