Life > Experiences

My Guide to Exploring Windsor’s Walkerville Neighbourhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Here in Canada, many of us are ready to pack away our snow gear and embrace spring with open arms. We are at a point in the year where even a glimpse at the blue sky is a significant mood boost. As the temperatures slowly climb, there’s no better time to explore the city and find new haunts!

About a ten-minute drive from UWindsor’s campus, Walkerville is home to various shops, restaurants, and outdoor areas that make it the perfect escape from your studies. Don’t worry about wasting gas or finding a bus to navigate this district because Walkerville is incredibly tourist friendly! If you take a stroll through Willistead Park, you will get to see the old manor, towering trees, and bewitching iron gate. From here, you must walk through the Willistead Crescent and around St. Mary’s Church. You are sure to fall in love with this neighbourhood’s historic architecture, small businesses, and relaxing atmosphere.

Here are my recommendations for exploring Walkerville based on your interests!

For the Book Lover…

As an English student, I am often drawn to Biblioasis Bookshop or Juniper Books to purchase my required texts. Biblioasis’ exposed brick, creaky wooden floors, and tall bookshelves create a soothing atmosphere for picking your next read. Juniper is a rare and used bookshop converted from a house. At this quirky shop, you can find a kitchen filled with books!

For the Coffee Addict…

Taloola Café and Anchor Coffee House are the perfect places to catch up with friends or the books you’ve been neglecting. If you want to enjoy a vegan treat in a charming environment, you have to hit Taloola. I recommend trying their cinnamon roll! Anchor sells delicious drinks and cookies, and this cafe even has a wall of plants for sale. 

For the Foodie…

If you aren’t in the mood for coffee or dessert, don’t worry because there’s a place to satisfy every craving in this neighbourhood. Some of my favourite places to eat are O’Maggio’s Kildare House for a veggie wrap, The Twisted Apron for French toast, The Carvery for a sandwich, and Aloony Shawarma for a gyro.

For the Gift Giver…

Whenever I have to buy a gift for someone, or I want to treat myself to a funky find, I turn to Urban Art Market or Jones & Company. Urban Art Market has tons of cute, locally crafted items. You’ll feel good about supporting your community while finding new treasures. I love this shop’s variety of candles, mugs, and stickers. Jones & Company has an even wider range of trinkets. From plant pots to puzzles, the selection is nothing short of unique!

For the Spiritual Shopper…

If you’re into crystals and spells, you have to check out Smudge Metaphysical. Smudge offers everything the modern witch needs like herbs, soaps, and candles. Many of Smudge’s items are crafted by the owner, the Witch of Walkerville. This business is also known for its support of the local Hiatus House. Even if you don’t consider yourself a witch, you’ll definitely be spellbound as you check out Smudge!

Next time you need a break from schoolwork, consider spending the day in Walkerville!

Dahlia Cornell is a writer at the University of Windsor’s chapter of Her Campus. As a student who loves self-improvement, Dahlia enjoys crafting articles about trends, wellness, and academics. Her other areas of interest include local events and life experiences. Dahlia is in her third year at the University of Windsor, studying English Language and Literature. Dahlia aspires to further her studies after her English degree to have a career in education, writing, or law. No matter what career path she chooses, Dahlia is determined to incorporate creative writing into her future. She would love to write and publish a novel. Outside of school and Her Campus, Dahlia enjoys crocheting, watching Halloween movies, trying different coffee shops, and going on walks. She spends too much time curating her Pinterest boards and daydreaming about Victorian houses. Dahlia should spend more time trying to read the excessive amount of books she buys.