To My Grandfather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

To my grandfather: You chose to leave all of thirteen siblings and your parents behind with my grandmother to build a better life in Canada.  You worked countless hours to provide for your children and evaded stereotypes surrounding Pakistani fathers; you also provided for them emotionally.  You were incredibly fearless; I cannot imagine the courage it took to leave everything behind and go to a new country with your children and wife where you were not sure how you would be greeted, but having enough faith in this nation to take care of you all, Other examples of your fearlessness include when  saved my father’s life once while he was drowning.  Your empathy and decency extended beyond your family; I remember hearing about how when you and my grandma were a newly married couple and you heard about a woman being abused, it angered you so much you beat up the abuser and they had to pull you away. In a world where most people choose to be bystanders, you chose to act. You will forever remain a role model to me because of your exemplary character.

Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.