My First Impression of The 1989 (Taylor’s Version) Vault Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Twelve year old me would be so excited to hear that exactly nine years after Taylor Swift released 1989, she would re-release the album with additional songs that we never got to hear. Although it is very unfortunate that she has to re-record all of her stolen songs, I am very thankful that we get to hear her songs the way she wanted us to hear them. In honour of 1989 (Taylor’s Version), I decided to share my first impression of each of the songs from the vault.

Slut!

Favourite lyrics: “In a world of boys, he’s a gentleman”

This was  an awesome song to open the vault! You can hear just how much stronger her voice has become! Her voice sounds like she is narrating a fairytale. She sounds so ethereal, and it feels very reminiscent of a dream or a vision. Since writing this, I have listened to the other vault songs and I’m pretty sure this is my favourite one. I am a hopeless romantic sucker, and I cannot wait to share this song with my boyfriend.

Say Don’t Go

Favourite lyrics: “Cause you kiss me and it stops time and I’m yours, but you’re not mine”

One thing I really appreciate about Say Don’t Go is that we are reminded just how much vocal range Taylor has. I think if I tried to sing that first verse, I would start to cough and gag. This song really reminds me of Come Back, Be Here; I think I might just pretend that they are lost sister songs. This is going to be an awesome car-ride tune to belt out and scream while going down a  deserted highway at 2 o’clock in the morning.

Now That We Don’t Talk

Favourite Lyrics: “And the only way back to my dignity was to turn into a shrouded mystery”

I think it is absolutely criminal that this song is only 2 minutes and 26 seconds  long. There was something about listening to this for the first time, in my bedroom with no lights on with the moon shining through the window, it really just helped to set up an awesome listening experience. I really enjoyed how this song sounds. It is like the perfect blend of a song you would find on Midnights and 1989 because the techno-electronic backtrack pairs beautifully with the vocals.

Suburban Legends

Favourite Lyrics: “You’d be more than a chapter in my old diaries with the pages ripped out”

Oh my goodness this song stabbed me in the heart a little bit. It makes me think way too much about all the childhood bewilderment and “what ifs” that I grew up with. It’s funny because I remember having all these goals and dreams when I was younger. I often think about if younger me would be proud of the person I am today? I’d like to think she would, but I can’t really know for sure. Suburban Legends is making me have  all these heavy thoughts and it only just came out! That’s some serious writing power that Taylor wields.

Is It Over Now?

Favourite Lyrics: “You searching every maiden’s bed for something greater”

While I was listening to this song, trying to soak in every word and note, I gasped so loud when I heard “blue dress on a boat”. This song sounds a lot like I Wish You Would, as well as Labyrinth which are some of my favourite Taylor Swift songs. There is so much jarring emotion embedded in her voice and lyrics, it’s hard not to like this song! I will say, although this is not my favourite vault song on this album, it is definitely a song that should have been on the original album.

Liv Brannagan

UWindsor '24

Hi I'm Liv! I am currently studying Forensic Science at the University of Windsor. I love being outside, going on hikes, kayaking, rowing, and goodness I could just go on and on. I am often listening to music, listening to a good podcast, watching a film, or talking (arguing) about any one of those!