This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

“Hello everybody, my name is Markiplier!” is a commonly known opening phrase from an all-too popular YouTuber, Mark Fischbach, known by his YouTube handle Markiplier. I always feel excitement and contentment whenever I open up a new video of Markiplier’s and hear his usual and friendly greeting. Since high school, Mark has been my all-time favourite YouTuber. With over 35 million well-deserved subscribers, he continues to make funny and entertaining content for his fans to the best of his abilities. He is, in my humble opinion, an extremely funny, wholesome, and, let’s be honest, crazy man who I look forward to watching everyday! And so, to honour this crazy and hilarious human being, I have decided to compose my top five favourite YouTube videos/playlists that he has created! For the record, it was very difficult to narrow it down to five, and I will say that my opinion will most likely change over time as it always does.

1.     Five Nights at Freddy’s

Of course I have to start with the classic! FNAF is an indie horror game created by Scott Cawthon many years back. Back when it was new, Mark gave the game a go and greenlit its great quality! In fact, I believe his gaming videos of FNAF is what made the horror game so popular. Mark has the most hilarious reactions to the animatronic jump scares – I will never get tired of watching him trying to reason with the Springtrap animatronic in FNAF 3. Not only that, but he was quite into the lore behind FNAF and has given well thought-out theories of what the true story of the pizzeria may be. Plus, his skills during the 20-mode difficulty in each FNAF game never ceases to impress me. He has called himself the King of Five Nights at Freddy’s on multiple occasions, and to this day, I still refer to him as such! 

2.     Improv

Markiplier does not only post video gaming content – he also graces us with hilarious improv games with the help of his wonderful friends Bob, Wade, Ethan, and Tyler! The five friends play various improv games such as Change, where two people perform a scene while one person behind the scene can command, “Change,” to a sentence that one of the two performers had said. They can continue to command, “Change” as many times as they want until they are met with a sentence that they are satisfied with. They come up with the craziest sentences in these instances! One of Ethan’s sentences went from, “Let’s get drilling,” to, “I once murdered an entire pod of dolphins.” It is so very random and so very hilarious. I have watched these videos numerous times, and they still crack me up! If you watch the improv playlist, you’ll get to hear Mark say, “Frickety frack, the snick-snack is back.” If that doesn’t convince you to watch it, then I don’t know what will. 

3.     Until Dawn

Until Dawn is an adventurous horror game, where you play multiple characters in order to discover the truth behind the death of two friends who happen to be twin sisters. The game relies heavily on the butterfly effect which instills a really cool experience with multiple endings. Markiplier becomes invested in the characters, particularly with Chris and Ashley, two best friends who harbour feelings for one another. Mark so badly wanted them to be endgame! However, there is a moment where he makes a grave mistake which shatters any hope of the two lovebirds ending up together. He was so upset, so hilariously angry with himself, that he literally restarted the entire game so that he can ensure that Ashley and Chris become endgame! That’s what I call dedication!

4.     Getting Over It

Horror games may be Mark’s forte, but he always has room for the occasional rage game. Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy is possibly the most anger-inducing game in existence. Now listen, Mark is a sweet and wholesome guy, but when he endures a rage game, God help us all, he rages hard. The purpose of the game is to guide a man stuck inside a cauldron towards the top of a seemingly endless mountain, with only a pickaxe to help you climb. Mark becomes so rageful, he even throws his chair across the room, falls to his knees, and screams to the heavens. Even though I feel bad for him whenever I watch him struggle with this game, I can’t help but find it so funny. 

5.     House

This is a pixelated horror game with a really interesting story. You play a young girl named Tabby who seems to be living inside a cursed house with her mom and younger sister, Melody. This is another type of game that has multiple endings. Mark plays through the game and experiences the various endings, such as saving the family from the horrors of the house, as well as an even darker ending where Tabby murders everyone in the house. Mark’s reactions to the horrors residing in the house are, as usual, hilarious! One such moment displays Mark, playing as Tabby, finding the younger sister dead underneath a fallen chandelier and responding with a shocked, “Uh… You want a sandwich?” Another moment shows Mark accidentally dying as Tabby, and just before the game restarts, there is a glimpse of a shadow monster wiggling around on Tabby’s body, to which Mark indignantly says, “What! Are you dancing on my corpse? What kind of douchebag move is that?” Definitely a recommended horror playlist with an interesting storyline and hilarious commentary, brought to you by Markiplier!

Nawal Jasey is the Writing Director at the Her Campus UWindsor Chapter. She is responsible for scheduling writers for article postings as well as writing articles herself. Prior to this, she was part of the writing team as a simple writer. Her content normally depicts entertainment, life experiences, and personal cultural and/or religious topics. Nawal attends the University of Windsor as a senior undergraduate under the English program, where she mainly studies different branches of English literature including Victorian, Renaissance, Restoration, and more. Furthermore, she studies creative writing to pursue her dream of becoming an author. She attends several reading events hosted by different authors to help inspire her creative writing. She has independently published a fiction fantasy novel and continues to write more stories for the future. In her free time, Nawal loves to read and write fiction and epic fantasy novels. She would rather shop for books than for clothes any day. She is an anime and manga lover and considers herself a massive and proud nerd. She enjoys baking and playing the piano (not at all professionally) while cuddling her adorable kitty named Sabo.