This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

As Lancers, we have much to experience in Windsor, but across the river, Detroit is rooted in art, history, and food. If you’re looking for a fun day trip, I highly recommend taking the tunnel bus over so you can enjoy a couple drinks while experiencing the multifaceted and historical city. Detroit has undergone major infrastructural developments, including the Q Line and Little Caesars Arena, and they have encouraged events to gather people together to educate, gain a skill, drink on bikes, and more. Detroit is up and coming (though I don’t think it ever died), and the spirit of the city is alive in the city and its buildings. I am passionate about Detroit, and I’m so surprised to hear any Windsorite say they haven’t visited. This list is not exhaustive by any means, but here is a starter guide to some must-see places in Detroit. I’ve included some of mine and my boyfriend’s travel photos (captioned) for the authenticity of this post. 

Bakersfield

This taco joint isn’t your regular Tostitos stop. Serving creative Mexican dishes and over 100 tequilas and whiskeys, this is the perfect place for date night. When you want a beautiful atmosphere, gorgeous drinks, and delicious food, stop in. Bakersfield is best in the summer when the patio is open. If you are a foodie like myself, you will dance with happiness (I did) when you see the colourful and unique taco dishes presented before you. Don’t be fooled by our version of tequila in Windsor (Tequila Bob’s), the tequila here is smooth and… actually enjoyable. They have crafted a top-of-the-class list of drinks and award-winning dishes. You won’t be disappointed!

Our taco choices, Bakersfield

Drinks, Bakersfield

Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA)

If the Windsor Art Gallery is all you know of art exhibitions, then you MUST cross the border to the DIA. Founded in 1885, the DIA holds over 100 galleries and hosts more than 65,000 works of art. From Ancient Egyptian to Classical Greek to Renaissance to African to Modern works, the DIA is an exquisite collection that is rated top 6 in the USA. It would be a sin not to experience this amazing collection of work just over the river. It even has Vincent van Gogh’s Self-Portrait!

Kresge Court, DIA

The Z Garage

This parking garage is a canvas for exceptional graffiti murals and urban art. The space in between the “Z” is called “The Belt”, where intimate cafes and bars have patios that become one with the artwork along the walls. It is amazing to climb the layers of the parking garage to see floors dedicated to artists, and experience how alive Detroit is alive with its art interwoven into the city. Reach the top of the garage and you can rest (you’ll need it) and view the city from above.

The Z Garage

Detroit Public Library

First of all, books. Detroit Public Library is the second largest library system in Michigan. Secondly, the Woodward location is a historic building in Detroit, constructed out of marble in the Renaissance style. The 20th century mosaics and murals that fill the inside are a sight to be seen — for free! The architecture draws many into the home of books. Non-Detroit residents can get a library card for an annual fee of $100 USD, but if you’re not interested in taking out the books, then the architecture alone is worth the trip. It’s directly across the street from the DIA, so it’s an easy day trip, accessible straight off the Q Line.

I've always been a writer. I'm a Sagittarius with an INFP personality type. I have cats and dogs and love all animals. I am an ovo-lacto pescetarian veering into raw food, slow fashion, eco-friendly beauty, and all-natural skincare. I am a huge fan of language and study English Literature and Creative Writing. I have left footprints in Europe, North America, and the Caribbean. I have a million favourite quotes. I am a devoted Anglican. Finally, I believe love conquers all.