Meet the University of Windsor’s newest goaltender

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

For many student athletes, the chance of starting in the lineup in their first year is unheard of.  Business major, Alexander Borsos, is receiving just that opportunity, having already played ten games for the University of Windsor.

Growing up in Brantford, Ontario, Borsos’ love for soccer came from both his grandfather and father. Both soccer players, Borsos’ grandfather played on the 1950 National Hungarian team, while his dad was a goalkeeper for many other leagues. 

“With soccer, there comes a lot of physical demand,” said Alex. “As a kid, I wasn’t a fan of running, that’s why I chose goalkeeper at first, but I fell in love with the game.”

Borsos began his soccer career at the age of eight, playing for an all-star team in Brantford.  Once he was old enough, he joined Brantford’s U12 competitive team. Afterward, Borsos played for a year in Ancaster, for two years in Oakville, and for a final year on the Mount Hamilton team.  Borsos then went on to play in high school with the Assumption College Lions, and won the high school tournament, CWOSSA, in his last year.

In the future, Borsos would love to open a Goalkeeper Academy, where members would have the opportunity to learn about the mindset and tactics of soccer, all-while increasing their physicality. This up-and-coming soccer player also hopes to eventually play on an overseas team.

Hometown: Douro, OntarioProgram: Digital Journalism, Communications, Media and FilmDream Job: Working for CosmoFavourite colour: BlueFavourite sport: HockeyFavourite animal: Dogs and OttersDream vacation: Italy or GreeceHobbies: Camping, Painting, Soccer, Canoeing, Running, Traveling and HockeySomeone who inspires you: OprahSomething you want to accomplish: Scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia   
Lucy Hopkins is pursuing a career in public relations whilst studying Communications at McMaster University.