Meet Katherine du Toit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Meet 21 year-old cool and confident Katherine du Toit, a.k.a Kate. Kate is a 4th year Communication, Media, and Film major here at the University of Windsor. Her mother is the lovely Esther Van Eek of costume and makeup design for the UWindsor School of Dramatic Art, and her father is Dr. Simon du Toit, who is also a professor at the UWindsor School of Dramatic Art. Kate is someone that constantly stays positive and you’ll always see her with a smile on her face. This girl manages to juggle her academics with athletics and outside involvement quite admirably. She’s an inspiration to most girls from her award-winning smile to her kick-ass personality.

Your parents are very well known professors at the university. Has this ever made you feel more pressure academically?

I’ve known since the day I got accepted at Windsor that I had big shoes to fill on this campus because of my parents’ reputations. They’ve always pushed me to do my best academically, and perhaps the pressure is greater than most students get from their parents, but I know they have good intentions.

How are you involved on campus?

I’m involved in as many ways as I can be – I firmly believe that your university experience is shaped by the things you do outside of the classroom more so than within it. I was a part of the Communication Student Association, I’m currently the president of the Society of Arts and Social Sciences, and I also work at the University of Windsor’s gym (The Forge). I have been given the amazing opportunity to host Welcome Week as well as many other events on campus and those events have been the highlights of my time here at the U.

Would you consider yourself a feminist?

Yes. I am a proud feminist.

What do you think is important about feminism?

Feminism is important because it seeks to help all women gain equal rights and opportunities. It empowers and unites.

How would you describe your everyday life?

I try to do something new everyday. I’ve found that my favourite way to do this is through exercise and cooking. I usually exercise in the morning, go to class, work, and then come home and take care of emails. I really cherish my “me time” so if I can fit in some reading or meditation I try to do that as well.

You’re a very athletic person, what is your motivation for being so active?

My motivation is the strength and power that I feel when I work hard in the gym, on my yoga mat, or on the football field. One of the most wonderful aspects of being a woman is owning your body, wholly, and loving it. Being healthy is an important aspect of self love.

What’s one quote that has always stuck with you?

“I don’t think you’re ready for this jelly.” – Destiny’s Child

How would you describe your sense of style?

Lil’ Kim circa the 90s meets Hubba Bubba gum. Sassy & sweet.

Who is your celebrity crush?

Kanye West. Forever and always.

Who is your inspiration and why?

I am inspired by the beauty, strength, and resilience of women every day. I can’t pick one, because I find new inspiration in every woman I meet. I love you ladies.

Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.