This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Name: Maria Scandale

Year and Program: 4th year Psychology with a minor in Gender and Women Studies

What extracurriculars are you in and your role for them? I am currently involved in Phi Sigma Sigma Sorority and am honoured to be the President.

What do you believe you have learned most throughout your time as a sorority member and more specifically the president of a sorority? Being in a sorority is honestly indescribable. The sisterhood and friendships I have gained and the life lessons that I will keep with me forever are something that you can’t get from anywhere else. If I could choose one thing though it would have to be to not be scared to take chances and always take care of yourself. Being surrounded by these amazing women that I am blessed to call sister(s), is something I will always cherish. They will always be there to support me in my decisions and encourage me to take the chances I need to lead a happy life. Even when I am having a low time, my sisters taught me that it is okay to not be okay, and to take all the time I need to pull myself together, do some self-care, and then tackle the issue head on. As well, being the President of Phi Sigma Sigma has taught me that I can be the leader that I’ve always needed in my life. I have learned the skills to lead and show people that they all have potential. I am proud that I get to be a figure in my sisters’ lives that they can look up to.

Do you have any advice to someone who is looking to take on a leadership role? My advice would be to play to your advantages. If you know you are really good at finances then take on a treasurer position. If you know you love working with bylaws or constitutions, take on a Vice President or a secretary role. If you start with something you know you will be good at or already feel comfortable in, it will open up many doors for you to either move up in positions or gain more skills in that specific area.

What is your dream job? Currently, my dream job is to be a Child and Youth worker. I have always been extremely interested and involved in helping children and young adults see their potential. I would love to be able to give them a healthy pathway to achieve their goals.

Favourite music? Honestly I know it is cliché to say but I love it all. I can go from Mumford and Sons to Nelly to High School Music. I’m not ashamed.

If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?  I would love to go back to Auckland, New Zealand. I have never felt more at ease and at home than I have in that city. Being surrounded by a city that is so rich with culture and nature is all I need in life. Also a bonus, it is a short bus ride away to Middle Earth and The Shire.

Who is your role model? My role model would have to be my sister Catherine. She is one of the strongest woman in my life. She is never afraid to stand up for what is right and will always be there for me when I need it. Even though she is 6 years older than myself, I have never felt disconnected to her. She made the age gap between us seem like it didn’t exist. I am so thankful that I have a sister who would cross oceans for me. She’s my other half and I love her more than I could ever explain.

Favourite food/drink?  TACOS. I LOVE TACOS SO MUCH. Sorry, I really like tacos. My favourite drink would have to be either vanilla matcha or raspberry Pure Leaf black tea. Or water. Water is nice.

If you could go back in time and change one thing, would you? And what would it be? To be honest, I wouldn’t change anything. My life and my choices have made me the person I am today. If I were to go back and change one little thing, who knows who I would be or what my life would be like today. I may never have become President, fell in love, found my best friends, or even changed majors. Even though some of my choices were definitely questionable and straight up wrong, I have learned from them.

Describe yourself in three words: Empathetic. Kind. Myself.

Hi everyone, my name is Sadie and I am a third year student studying Sociology. My hobbies include reading, writing, horseback riding, and eating sushi with friends.
Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.