Culture > Digital

Make Your Social Media POP with these design apps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Saying that I use social media a lot is almost an understatement. Not only do I use social media for personal use and have my own profile on a variety of social media platforms, but I also work as a social media manager & content creator for two businesses where I design content daily, and I am a Communication, Media & Film Major, so I am editing often. While I do choose to use more heavy-duty apps for some content design such as the Adobe Creative cloud for thumbnail editing or using Premiere Pro for film editing and Instagram Reel designs (yes, I admit, I do edit reels on industry standard editing software, let’s not talk about it), I also use a lot of free softwares that I can easily access on my phone wherever I am. So, whether you’re looking for the perfect free software for creating graphics or you want to touch up your own photos, keep reading for my so-called-professional suggestions below!

Canva

Canva is a very beautiful invention. It’s almost like Adobe photoshop, but specifically designed for everyone with its easy-to-use interface. Canva is a free graphic design platform available on mobile devices (Apple and Android) and Desktops (Mac and PC) filled with templates you can use for a variety of needs and desires. On Canva, you can design anything from Instagram stories and posts, to resumes and business cards, and even YouTube Intros and websites! While they do have templates to get you started, if you have an idea in mind, they also have the option to start with a blank slate with predetermined sizes for whatever you want your designs (Instagram Stories, YouTube Thumbnails, etc.) to be. They also have lots of elements, stock photos & videos, music, and backgrounds available for use. Not only does Canva help with graphic design, but you can also do photo editing too, with a variety of effects and editing tools available! 

I will also note that there is a Pro version available, but I personally find that the free version can get me what I want without paying a monthly fee. So regardless of if you’re a photographer, teacher, social media manager, or even just looking to design for fun, Canva is a great place to start if you don’t want to invest in the industry standard.

Studio

When it comes to creating quick and easy designs for extra-curricular activities that contain lots of information, Studio (previously known as Over) is available on Apple and Android devices and is an app that I love to reach too! Studio is a graphic design app similar to Canva but focuses less on templates and more on creative freedom with your post designs. Studio allows you to create designs in all types of dimensions, and allows you to add text, graphics, photos & video to your designs. Within the editor, you can also do photo editing using filters, lighting tools, masking, and cropping;  you can also apply shadows, fonts, and colours to your text along with  graphics. 
Studio also offers a Pro version that includes templates and other elements, but as I mentioned with Canva, I find that I can do just fine with what Studio offers within their free version. So, if you’re looking to post quick announcements or get your designs done quickly, Over will be a perfect editing app for you!

Apple Photo Editing/Adobe Lightroom (Mobile Version)

I decided to combine these two apps since Android users would not have access to Apple’s editing software, but I enjoy using these two apps for similar purposes, which is photo editing. When it comes to posting content on my own feed, sometimes I will adjust the lighting of my photos to make them look brighter for social media. Since I do have an iPhone, I find that the editing software within Apple photos is a perfect asset for adding quick touch-ups to my photos. I currently have an iPhone 12, but was previously using an iPhone 8, and Apple’s editing software still worked just as great, so even though I do not have a top-of-the-line iPhone, I can still get my photos to be the quality I want them to by using the Photo’s app alone. With Apple Photos, I am able to adjust everything I would want to adjust (exposure, shadows, highlights, etc.) without the need to pull out my laptop! I also love Apple photos because all of my edits remain on the app, so I never have to worry about downloading my latest edit. 

An option I have for my non-apple users is Adobe Lightroom for mobile. Adobe Lightroom is an Adobe software that non-Adobe users can use for free for basic editing (lighting, colours, cropping, etc.  With what I would want to edit for the lighting of my photos, Adobe Lightroom can do that without having to purchase the official software. This is also available on Apple Devices if interested!

A Social Media Planning App

There are so many of these apps out there that I could not pick just one! Planning your social media feeds is essential to a great feed! Some ways that planning can be beneficial is to avoid similar postings close together, keep a cohesive colour scheme, and ensure your posts are up during the prime-time engagement period. 

One of the most popular uses of planning apps is the auto scheduling feature where users schedule their feed posts, and sometimes stories and reels, to be posted at a time where their audience will be the most engaged. Planning apps also give you the ability to see your planned feed as if it is your real feed, so you can plan posts, move them around, and delete them in order to ensure that your feed is the best it could possibly look!

Some that I would recommend are:

• Later (Apple and Android, as well as Mac and PC)
  • Planoly (Apple and Android)
  • Meta Business Suite (Apple and Android, specifically good for people who manage Facebook Business Pages)
  • Tweetdeck (Mac or PC, specifically good for scheduling Twitter Posts)
  • Rella (I haven’t tried this yet but wanted to include it as it is a planner that is specifically for Influencers!)
Pinterest

When I’m in search of inspiration I always go to Pinterest. Whether that is for story and feed design ideas, posing tips, flat lay designs, or outfit tips, Pinterest is always my first step when it comes to content design! I like to save my ideas to a bunch of different boards so I can always look back on them. Not only can you find creation ideas, but you can also find tips from other content creators and media designers on how they do things! I get many posts in my feed that pertain to everything from hashtag engagement, design layouts and dimensions, caption writing tips, and so much more!

By using all of these apps, your social media pages will definitely stand out! So, whether you’re looking to manage a social media business page, design a finsta for a class assignment, or just give your personal social media page a makeover, these apps can definitely beautify your feeds just as they did to mine!

Mya Bezaire is the Co-Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UWindsor Chapter. She is responsible for overseeing all administrative aspects of the chapter, from member onboarding to article scheduling. Prior to this, Mya was the social media director (2021-2022), and she currently still helps with posting on social media. She also is a writer who’s content typically focuses around career development, entertainment, and self-care. Beyond Her Campus, Mya is a freelance digital marketer for her own business titled Market with Mya. As a freelancer Mya has worked with small-to-medium business clients based in Canada & the US to help elevate their digital presence through content creation, social media management, and design. Currently, Mya is a Senior at the University of Windsor in Communication, Media, and Film, with a minor in Information Technology. Mya is also the president of the Communication Student Association, where she oversees all marketing & events efforts to create a vibrant space for Communication Students on campus. In her free time, Mya loves immersing herself in TV and Film. She’s a reality TV junkie but also loves a good romcom or thriller-drama. She also loves prioritizing her wellness, and you can often find her journalling, listening to her fave podcasts & YouTubers, or going on a hot girl walk.